M14 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a Harris Bipod Series 1A2 model L and need to mount it on my SOCOM16. Any advice on how to do it would be greately appreciated. I have the stock front sling ring on it and not sure if I need an adaptor or if I should change the front sling mount. Looking for some suggestions.
I want to make sure I do it right and that it is functional and rugged. Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
I would use one of the Fulton Armory short rails that mounts in the forward sling swivel location.

·
"Death From Above"
11,432 Posts
Another option is the reinforced qd stud that sadlak makes, it a direct replacement for the gi sling swivle. If yiu go that route you won't have to buy both the rail and rail adapter for the Harris. In addition you will need a quick detach sling buckle like the uncle mikes. I opted for the heavy duty one sadlak makes. The sling swivle will attach to the bottom of the Harris pod.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Another option is the reinforced qd stud that sadlak makes, it a direct replacement for the gi sling swivle. If yiu go that route you won't have to buy both the rail and rail adapter for the Harris. In addition you will need a quick detach sling buckle like the uncle mikes. I opted for the heavy duty one sadlak makes. The sling swivle will attach to the bottom of the Harris pod.
I hadn't seen that one... that's slicker than snot!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Dang, just ordered the qd stud before I read this now you're saying I need to buy another swivel too? Won't the stock swivel just mount with the qd stud mount? Here's what I ordered:
http://www.topnotchtactical.com/con...-1944/sadlak_reinforced_qd_post_assembly.html

So now I need a swivel too?

·
Registered
997 Posts
Dang, just ordered the qd stud before I read this now you're saying I need to buy another swivel too? Won't the stock swivel just mount with the qd stud mount? Here's what I ordered:
http://www.topnotchtactical.com/con...-1944/sadlak_reinforced_qd_post_assembly.html

1+ on the Sadlak.

Yes, you will need an Uncle Mikes Sling Swivel. I recommend the Mil-Spec swivels. While your at it consider getting a swivel stud replacement for the rear. Accu-shot and KNS both make one.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so I'm at the point that I need the Sadlak HD QD Super Swivel, the 9/32 nongrab drill bit, and the Devcon Steel Epoxy. Is that it or will that get me what I need in all?

I don't need a rear swivel I have the Blue Force sling that doesn't use the rear swivel. Am I missing anything?

·
"Death From Above"
11,432 Posts

The stock swivle thats on the rifle is replaced by the kit you just purchased. The bottom of each harris pod has provisions to mount a detachable sling swivle which will required if you still want to use your sling. Personally if I have a pod attached I know I will be shooting off a bench and leave the sling off however I like the option of installing one so I purchased the sadlak heavy duty quick detachable sling swivels as well. Uncle mikes will work fine but I would get the heavy duty one.

·
"Death From Above"
11,432 Posts
Ok, so I'm at the point that I need the Sadlak HD QD Super Swivel, the 9/32 nongrab drill bit, and the Devcon Steel Epoxy. Is that it or will that get me what I need in all?

I don't need a rear swivel I have the Blue Force sling that doesn't use the rear swivel. Am I missing anything?
Why the bit and the devcon? Are you installing the qd stud in something other than a gi stock? I ordered a backing plate and longer screw to use on a m millan m1a stock. I utilized the backing plate that comes with the sadlak kit and the longer screws to install a gi swivle on that stock to keep it service rifle legal. I did not have to reinforce anything once the inside of the stock was dremeled out so that the backing plate lay flush with the barrel channel. It's in there solid.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's the plan so far, it's turning out to be a project instead of a "plug and play" concept I thought it would be when I saw the Harris on the table at the gun show. I appreciate all the input from everyone, it's been an educational experience. Great to be able to tap into the wealth of knowledge and experience TFL's members have. Thanks much again everyone.

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
The Devcon is a bedding compound that will secure the internal nutplate. This is useful if the user does not plan on removing the assembly in the future.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Polytech M14 bipod help

Will this set up also work with a polytech M14? i am trying to find a way to mount a bipod as well and so far have not found any real help in the city i live..

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
I don't think there is any reason it wouldn't work fine with a Polytech. We don't have one around the shop so we haven't tested that specifically. Maybe someone with a Poly can give us some feedback on any differences that may exist

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Yes , it works fine in Poly's,..sometimes you need line the holes up a bit to get them center to center, no big deal.

To the OP...you can make Sadlacks QD stud work with your existing front sling loop, if you get some longer screws and knock a little off the QD stud base, where it contacts the closed loop of metal around the swivel itself, then put your original swivel base back under the QD set-up and put the screws into the Sadlack Base inside...the swivel will still be kinda trapped by the bipod base when tightened down, put that also can be remedied by knocking some off the base of the bi-pod, a sort curved inlet. It will work in a pinch situation, just takes a little handy work.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
This is also on the To Do list for my Socom16... anyone have photos? A picture speaks a thousand words.... GI1

1 - 18 of 18 Posts