M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a few questions for you experts:

1. Is the weep hole in the black synthetic stock the right size to screw in an Uncle Mike's bipod/sling swivel stud? Also, is the stock thick enough for it?

2. If you have done this, does it work?

3. Does this interfere with the front sling swivel or should that be taken off since you can use a Harris bipod with sling swivel attachment?

4. What model Harris bipod is good for shooting the M1A in the prone position? I was considering the model one up from the BR 6"-9" model, which is the 9-13", I think.

I'm considering this so that I don't have to have the stock taken off and drilled and inletted.

Thanks!

·
Registered
710 Posts
bipod mounting

shooterx10,
I know some use the weep hole to mount the Harris adapter but I think that the stock is a little thin there. I prefer to drill out the sling swivel holes, install T-nuts and 10-32 Pan head hex drive screws to replace the rivets. When I want to use the bipod I just remove the screws and replace with a quick detach stud for the Harris to mount to. Works well for me. Here's a link to a previous post on the subject.

http://www.m-14forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5815&highlight=

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh cool. Thanks for the reply.

What about the USGI bipod? Does that thing in any way clamp onto the barrel or just the gas cyliner? When mounted, how far off the ground is the rifle? Does it cant to level the rifle on uneven ground? Is it as stable as a Harris bipod?

·
Registered
710 Posts
bipods

shooterx10,
The GI bipod clamps on to the gas cylinder. I have never used one as I never wanted clamp marks in my rifles nice finish and the bipod attached to the gas cylinder (barrel) isn't conducive to accuracy. Yes, the GI will cant to level but so will the Harris swivel models. The GI bipods are also very heavy. For me it's Harris all the way and if you have seen current photos of M14's in use in Iraq you will notice that the military uses the Harris as well. Gotta be a reason for that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.