M14 Forum banner

Hardcase Gun Case Recommendations

1500 13
I am looking for a high security hard case for either 1 or 2 M14 type rifles. I'd like to be able to accomodate an E2 stock. It needs to be secure locking and lockable to the vehicle (by a woven cable type lock such as Kryptonite). I'd also like it tough enough for a truck to be able to run it over (no-not planning on that!)
I am familiar with the Pelican brand, are there any others that anyone could recommend? Price is not a big concern.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Starlight

I just purchased a Starlight case that would fit most of your requirements - depending on the weight and speed of your truck, that is. I picked it up at Sam's club for under $70 and that was for the larger double rifle size. They product a very sturdy, quality product.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've bought various cases over the years...the Starlight double rifle cases handle my air travel with ease...last trip my LRB, a M1 and two .45 auto's. cross country.

It will take the abuse, airtight seal, you can custom cut the foam, lockable with your pad locks and with wheels, easy to get through the airport (the above weighed 48 pounds).

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have 5 of the Starlight double rifle cases and they are as sturdy as they get. Nice O-ring gasket seal, solid handles and wheels, and just about indestructable ( I haven't tried running over them, but their web site shows a HumVee parked on top of one). You can pack alot of firearms into the double rifle cases, as you custom fit the foam to your needs.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Hi folks.

I second (or even "third" or "fourth") what the folks previously have said on the Starlight double rifle cases.

They are absolutely amazing, and if you find 'em at the local Sam's Club, you've scored yourself one heckuva deal.

Here's "Amybelle" tucked into her case...

What I do want to get, however, is the closed cell foam that they sell on their site. It is seemingly easier to cut than the original foam that comes with it, and is denser. It's like $60, last I checked.

The only complaint is that you need a bigger car than a Ford Focus to carry it to the range (or pop down the back seat and slide it in).

Regardless of your foam selection, it's definitely worth every dime you paid for it, IMHO.

Spike

·
Banned
104 Posts
I 6th and 7th the starlight. IF you can find them at Sam's Club it will be the best deal you could get. I paid $58 for a $250 case that way.

I used the original foam and cut it for 2-Rem 788 deer rifles for the wife and I. Looking at making additional foam sheets for the M1 and M14 rifles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Tommy Gun,

Try looking up a company calle Tuscarora in Colorado I believe. They are a foam fabricator for packaging and hard cases like Pelican,Anvil,SKB,Starlight and Hardigg. If they are close by call them or stop by and offer to pay them $60 cash and have a pro do it and order the case without the foam. I work for a foam fabricator out in So Cal and the closed cell foam that is being talked about is Polyethelene. You can get the material in black which looks better than the grey open cell polyurethane foam most cases come with. Also polyethelene will hold up better over time.

Good Luck-

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm quite happy with my Pelican. I bought it for my LE2B sniper project and it's perfect.

But it's a big bugger.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I got a Ferret 50 with 36" barrel. The upper half is 51" long. What kind of case should I use?

Starlight looks nice and big enough (just a little bit longer than 51" inside). Around San Francisco Bay area, unfortunatelly, I can not find any Sam's Club carrying Starlight cases.

Some other 50-caliber guys at BiggerHammer suggested Kalispel. They custom made cases.

Guys, wht do you say?

·
Registered
513 Posts
How have you folks arranged two rifles in a Starlight case? The reason I ask is that, if you look at the thickness of the foam sheets, from top to bottom the lid has a thick pad, then there is the very thick layer that the top rifle sets in, followed by a thin separating sheet, another very thick layer for a rifle to set in, then the bottom is another thin separating sheet.

This leaves much less padding at the bottom than in the lid. Anyone come up with a solution to this? Thanks.

flcracker

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.