M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some suggestions on hanging an old muzzle loader on a brick fireplace for decoration. If anyone has done this and has expieriance or pics, I would welcome the input.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
My rack is made to support 4 long guns. I got the idea from visiting Williamsburg. I took some 1x4's routed the edges and then drilled holes for .5 inch dowls that support the rifles. Drill the holes on a slight angel. You can do the same thing for just one.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
I am looking for some suggestions on hanging an old muzzle loader on a brick fireplace for decoration. If anyone has done this and has expieriance or pics, I would welcome the input.

Thanks,
Houndmaster?
I'm not suggesting that YOU would do this...
BUT...As You Did Mention Hanging Your Old Frontstuffer on "a brick fireplace"....
Let Me Just Add This Thought..
If Anybody Out There(Not Houndmaster! GITEN) Might Contemplate Hanging A Firearm That Has ANY Value...
Over A WORKING Fireplace...
Be Aware That Doing So Can Significantly DRY OUT That Gun Over Time, and It Can Be 'Ruint' by doing so...

Just Saying...
I Know Nobody Here Would Do Such A Thing...

GI6

[Course If A Guy Wants To Hang Up Fancy-Like---Here's A Thought:

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/partlist.aspx?catId=1&subId=5&styleId=38

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hanger

I have seen rifles over the fire place with deer hoofs. Looks really cool & period. Not sure of how they are attatched.

·
Registered
467 Posts
X2 on CAVman's cautionary note...

My father put an abolutely beautiful 1864 Springfield over the fireplace back in the day. A couple of years later he found that the heat had caused irrepairable damage to the stock; it had split in several spots.

What once had been a quite high-grade rifle became an ordinary trade piece

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the concern with damage, but this gem is of no value. I just thought it would look cool. CAVman, those hooks in your link are totally perfect. Thank you,

·
Registered
576 Posts
This is my old muzzleloader beater gun. I heard that the flintstones use to shoot these guns?

And this gun came accross the ocean on the Mayflower. It's shoots some weird old school .30 cal. bullet. Probly doesn't shoot worth a darn cause it's not .223, but it's kinda cool to look at.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
SUPER COOL!!!

But, Hey, Bruddah!!!

You Can't Just Post Those Pics of THOSE Mounts And Walk Away!!!

Tell THE REST OF THE STORY !!!

GI6

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
576 Posts
These aren't wall hanger guns. I shoot XC and some mid range prone matches almost every sat/sun. And CMP matches too. I use the wall hangers only when I'm soaking the barrels, otherwise my rifles are in the gun safe or on the firing line. A while back, during prep time, I heard some one comment that my gun came accross on the Mayflower. I was the only one on the line shooting a 30cal service rifle. It was mostly palma guns, space guns, Tubb guns, tube guns, ARs...I was the only one on that relay that shot a 5x clean at 600. The AR guys weren't even close. I didn't hear any more wise cracks the rest of the day....So that's where the Mayflower story comes from.

I think I got about $90 in parts building the wall mounts. The barrel & gas cylinder was demilled by captin crunch. The stock was like new but it had a 6" crack from the trigger housing forward. Used some VHT cast iron color paint on the metal and a OD Green color on the wood. Some counter sunk screws from the back. It's purdy simple and it turned out Ok.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Very nice! What a novel idea there, levisdad.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
I think I got about $90 in parts building the wall mounts. The barrel & gas cylinder was demilled by captin crunch. The stock was like new but it had a 6" crack from the trigger housing forward. Used some VHT cast iron color paint on the metal and a OD Green color on the wood. Some counter sunk screws from the back. It's purdy simple and it turned out Ok.
Thanks Very Much for Sharing the Photos and Your Explanation...
It's the Most Creative Mount I Have Seen In A Long Time!
I'll Bet You'll Be Getting Requests For You to Make and Sell Them !?

GI6

CAVman in WYoming

·
Super Moderator
11,171 Posts
On the CMP board, there is a gent that made a working M1 lamp from a junked reciever and parts and used a ammo can for the weighted base looked cool.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts