M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ignore the sales pitch at the end. I like putting a flat hammerhead on mine. Lawnmower blade is thinner but can also use leaf springs.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ahmySkUZW8[/ame]

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Interesting. I made one years ago just for the challenge from leaf springs. I didn't compress the steel on the blade before shaping. I did weld a piece on for the handle.

Using it to chop is not easy. After a few strokes, your hand/wrist gets sore. It's more of a combat tool.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Huntinghawk,

Your over the top on this one. A lot of work for a marginal tomahawk. And in a SHTF situation your not going to have torch or jig saw to cut the lawnmower blade and make a handle.

Your better off buying a Tomahawk from Cold Steel or some other Vendor before the SHTF. You would really have to be desperate or really thrifty to make one out of a lawnmower blade. Actually somebody like me who does not have a torch or a jig saw that can cut steel would find it more economical to pick up a quality Tomahawk from one of the major blade suppliers.

I do have a Cold Steel Kukri knife which is a form of a machete. Machetes are probably more useful than Tomahawks and can be had at surplus stores for very little. Of course the Kukri knife is much more versatile for doing Gods work during a SHTF situation in lieu of guns and tomahawks.

ptalar

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use an angle grinder with metal cutting wheel & SHTF I can use my solar system & inverter to power it. And I don't have a torch but have a LP powered forge.

And I have made plenty of tomahawks both with hammerhaeds & spikes. But have only made them using leaf springs.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I don't think anyone would try to make one when the SHTF. But, if you're handy and have the tools it is an interesting way to make a tool before SHTF.

The one I made was just to make something historical as a challenge to my limited skills.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Handles are wood & handles are going to break. With those things in mind I decided to leade the pipe round as it will be easier to whittle & fit a round piece. Also, the ones Imade I used a cross pin so if the head does loosen up atleast it won't go flying.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
That was my question too. I didn't see the "smith" in the video doing any sort of tempering of the edge. He just heated up the steel and quenched it in water. Good for hardening but makes for a brittle edge in high carbon steel.

Are lawnmower blades high, medium, or low carbon? If they're high, I would think that the untempered blade could shatter if too hard a blow is struck into a harder wood or if a rock is hit accidentally. If medium or low carbon, what type of edge holding ability does the blade have?

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
I think hes def in line here.

Hh lives in a place from i can tell will do better than most in hard times or at least get by. Im sire he would have people coming by to trade for tools they may need or to have some repaired.

When you have lost or broke. Your main a "marginal" tomahawk or machete would be worth a lot.

I think its great to have the skill ans tools to make hard use tools.

How hard would it be to make a hammer ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts