M14 Forum banner

Handloads/velocity/powder

1801 8
HOWDY GI1
Over the last twenty or so years I have used surplus 7.62 in my M1a.
I have never really put this rifle to the test and used hand loads in it.
Most of the 7.62 brass used is boxer primed, so I ordered a keg of Nosler 168/gr/bt and plan to have at it.
Durning this time I talked with a lot of shooter who load for the M14/M1a and more than one suggest that 2500/2600 fps is the optimum Velocity for a National Match M1a.
This seems reasonable as most of the match ammo is listed to the above velocities. I'll be using W748 and H380 powders
Have any of you/all ever heard these velocities mentioned for use in the M14/M1a?
THANKS GI1
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Canadian Bacon,

Although I have not started loading for M14/M1A, I have used Win 748 for M1 Garand and AR-15 as well as 30-30 and 32 win spl. I find it to be very accurate, meters withing .1 gr and burns clean. On the clean burning part, when I first started using Win 748 and Hodgdon BLC2, I found it very dirty - left a lot of carbon. It was recommended to me to use a Magnum Primer and I found that helped a lot. Since then I have used either CCI 250 or CCI #34, which ever is available (they both cost the same where I purchase reloading supplies). I settled on Win 748 over BLC2 because I found in my old Model 94's it grouped extremely well with it.

I have also had good luck with Varget, many others have swore at it - that is just my personal experience. A good stand by is IMR 4064. On these powders, and IMR 4895, I use a Large Rifle Primer - a magnum primer is not necessary.

Iggy

·
Registered
424 Posts
My fouling issues with 748 were with 20" barrel 94 Winchesters. I changed primers from a Large Rifle to a Large Rifle Magnum and had no more problems with fouling. After that I stuck with magnum primers for ball powders and it has worked well.

Iggy

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.