M14 Forum banner

Handloads/velocity/powder

1799 8
HOWDY GI1
Over the last twenty or so years I have used surplus 7.62 in my M1a.
I have never really put this rifle to the test and used hand loads in it.
Most of the 7.62 brass used is boxer primed, so I ordered a keg of Nosler 168/gr/bt and plan to have at it.
Durning this time I talked with a lot of shooter who load for the M14/M1a and more than one suggest that 2500/2600 fps is the optimum Velocity for a National Match M1a.
This seems reasonable as most of the match ammo is listed to the above velocities. I'll be using W748 and H380 powders
Have any of you/all ever heard these velocities mentioned for use in the M14/M1a?
THANKS GI1
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,054 Posts
Perfect velocity range for 168 Nosler CC or SMK is 2550-2600 FPS. I use IMR4895. Maximum velocity never equates to maximum accuracy. You have to find the sweet spot for your particular rifle by performing a comprehensive load development.

I prefer stick powders myself. IMR4895, IMR4064, or RL-15 are my choices.

·
Registered
423 Posts
My experience with Winchester 748 is that it is about as good as IMR 4064 for the M1A / M14. I don't think I ever ran velocities quite as high as I did with IMR 4064 though the difference wasn't much. 2580 fps versus 2620 fps.
Charge weights tend to run a touch higher with W 748.

- Ivan.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Canadian Bacon,

Although I have not started loading for M14/M1A, I have used Win 748 for M1 Garand and AR-15 as well as 30-30 and 32 win spl. I find it to be very accurate, meters withing .1 gr and burns clean. On the clean burning part, when I first started using Win 748 and Hodgdon BLC2, I found it very dirty - left a lot of carbon. It was recommended to me to use a Magnum Primer and I found that helped a lot. Since then I have used either CCI 250 or CCI #34, which ever is available (they both cost the same where I purchase reloading supplies). I settled on Win 748 over BLC2 because I found in my old Model 94's it grouped extremely well with it.

I have also had good luck with Varget, many others have swore at it - that is just my personal experience. A good stand by is IMR 4064. On these powders, and IMR 4895, I use a Large Rifle Primer - a magnum primer is not necessary.

Iggy

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good intel

Canadian Bacon,

Although I have not started loading for M14/M1A, I have used Win 748 for M1 Garand and AR-15 as well as 30-30 and 32 win spl. I find it to be very accurate, meters withing .1 gr and burns clean. On the clean burning part, when I first started using Win 748 and Hodgdon BLC2, I found it very dirty - left a lot of carbon. It was recommended to me to use a Magnum Primer and I found that helped a lot. Since then I have used either CCI 250 or CCI #34, which ever is available (they both cost the same where I purchase reloading supplies). I settled on Win 748 over BLC2 because I found in my old Model 94's it grouped extremely well with it.

I have also had good luck with Varget, many others have swore at it - that is just my personal experience. A good stand by is IMR 4064. On these powders, and IMR 4895, I use a Large Rifle Primer - a magnum primer is not necessary.

Iggy
HOWDYGI1
Thanks for the reply.
You mention the fouling characteristics of 748. I will have to do more research as you are not the first to bring up this issue.
I have a large stock of 748/380 and when that is used up I will look into using a different powder.
I read that Reloader #12 works well and fills the case, for a velocity of 2500fps.
Any way. You gotta love the M14/M1a.
Made of steel and comes alive when you fire it GI1 GI5
THANKS AGAIN

·
Registered
423 Posts
Keep in mind that the quoted velocities with Military Match is done at 78 feet from the muzzle. The actual muzzle velocity is higher than what is on the box.

Federal Match is typically around 2640-2650 fps out of my gun. Military M852 is a bit slower at about 2580 fps or so (from memory).

I did not find Magnum primers necessary when using W748 in .308 Winchester. The velocity I got with my loads wasn't because I could not load hotter, but because I chose to stop there. I was getting factory velocity and pretty good accuracy, so why go up any more? With IMR 4064, I went hotter because I was trying to duplicate Federal Match velocities.

- Ivan.

·
Registered
424 Posts
My fouling issues with 748 were with 20" barrel 94 Winchesters. I changed primers from a Large Rifle to a Large Rifle Magnum and had no more problems with fouling. After that I stuck with magnum primers for ball powders and it has worked well.

Iggy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.