M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to remove the hand guard with a sadlak scope mount still attached?
Will you think there's clearance for that? I pretty much screwed in that scope mount real good and don't want the hassle of taking it apart to install a new hand guard.

Options?

·
Registered
216 Posts
The mount should not touch the hg. I have to move my gas system forward a little to slide the hg forward and out. You can give the hg a sanding on the edges to give more clearance, i think that is a nm mod aswell.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The mount is not touching the hand guard but it's pretty close. My intention was not to remove the gas system to get it out but stripping it down to the three basic components (trigger, stock, action). I'll remove the op rod too and then tried to pop it out with a flat screw driver.
Do you think the space between the mount and hand guard is possible to do it?

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
I have removed the forward scope mounting rail from my Scout and installed a standard handguard.

Then installed a Bassett scope mount.

I have tried to remove the handguard with the action out of the stock and the mount still on.

I found there is not enough clearance under the scope mount to raise the receiver end of the handguard high enough to clear the receiver and slide the guard back out of the front band.

I even tried it with a handguard with no clip on it, still could not get it out with the scope mount on.

The quick on/off of the Bassett mount allows the handguard to be removed without messing with the gas assembly.

What reason do you have for removing the handguard?

It can be left on the action when the action is removed from the stock.

Nothing under it that needs service or lube.

So.... you'll have to either remove the scope mount or slide the gas assembly forward.

Or, just leave it on the action.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'm replacing the hand guard with another hand guard lol.
guess i'll have to drop a few more pennies into the m1a pit fall that's becoming very very deep ever since i've decided to buy a m1a lol. thanks for the replies guys.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
don't have the tools for taking the gas system off at the moment. So i'm stuck going vertical.
All you need to take the gas system off is a 3/8" closed end wrench. Well, not off exactly, but you should be able to slide the gas system over the barrel enough once you remove the gas plug.

Take the off the: flash hider, gas system and front band and pull/slide the hand guard straight forward.
Is it really necessary to take the flash suppressor off? I don't have a Scout, but it looks like there's enough barrel to slide the gas system over to uncover the front edge of the handguard.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
don't have the tools for taking the gas system off at the moment. So i'm stuck going vertical.
You don't need any special tools to break it down, you only need a 3/8's box or open end wrench for gas plug and a crescent or plyers to remove the gas lock, and the gas lock may even unscrew with nothing, if you use plyers or crescent on gas lock use a rag to protect it from marks.

Leave the break on the muzzle and just move the cylinder forward after gas plug and gas lock are off.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I believe I use appropriate force on the big side screw but the inner hex screws (3 on stripper and 2 on front of mount) I hand torque using their tool. I torqued it till it got tight and then a tiny bit more torque after that. Nothing has come loose after first range test.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.