M14 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
"Death From Above"
11,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use these tools? I want to install a forward weight in the new A2 upper and I tried very hard to hold the delta ring down and remove the handguard. These new handguards are not as easy to get out as my issued 16A1 was. I can't even seperate the two halves. Seems to be at least three on the market anyone work better than the other?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Use two people?

Try doing one had a time and use a very thin bladed
screw driver to gently separate the halves,

I don't think that tool is worth it unless you're going
to disassemble a lot of guns.

They do get easier the more you take them apart.

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
I don't have a special tool but when I need that "3rd hand" I just use a cheap pair of hot dog tongs.

No... really!GI5

They won't even harm the finish!

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I did purchase one from, uh, Brownell's I think. Works fine, but when in a hurry I still use the Mark 1 fingers sometimes.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
I had one when I was in the sandbox, but only because the S-4 bought some. He thought they looked neat, and we did have 500+ rifles to replace the handguards with rails, so they did get a workout. I tried one a few times and was not impressed with it. I'm old school, and my fingers, with the assist of a small flat tip screwdriver when needed, work just fine.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Use one. Dont know what kind it is. Had it laying around since the last century. Works very well. Trying to use fingers on a new upper with new delta springs is going to be tough. Screw drivers and whatnot work too, but real good chance of marring the finish, slipping and stabbing your hand or cracking a handguard. Im sure by-and-large most of these tools are equal. When in doubt, just buy the most expensive one, I guess...

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
They can be tough, but they got in there somehow... Do one at a time, it can take a few tries to find the right hand position to get the leverage you need.

BTW, is this a totally stock upper or do you have some kind of float tube installed? Most of the float tubes are shorter than a standard A2 barrel setup and the handguards need to be shortened, or they will be near impossible to get in/out. If yours haven't been shortened, or not enough, that could be part of the problem.

Even with a standard barrel, if it really bugs you, you can shorten the handguards just a hair to make them easier to remove. Just take a little off the back edge of the guards with a file, 1/16" or so usually makes a big difference.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
And for the record, here's how to attack the handguards on an A2 for those that were never issued one:

The delta ring is way too stiff to push the whole delta ring straight down.. You have to just tilt it enough to get one handguard off at a time.

Ensure the rifle is clear GI5 and set the butt on a solid work surface, muzzle pointing up. You want the delta ring about stomach height where you can apply the most leverage.

Choose a handguard to go after first. Upper or lower, doesn't seem to make much difference. Face that handguard toward your weaker side. With your weaker hand, grab that handguard just above the delta ring. With your strong hand, make like an "OKAY" symbol with your thumb and forefinger. Slide those fingers over the delta ring so that the tips of your thumb and forefinger are grabbing the delta ring behind the handguard you're trying to remove. Get a good firm grip.

Now lean on that strong hand and pry downward on that side of the delta ring only, where your fingertips are. You're not trying to press the whole ring down, just pry down that side only. At the same time, pull outward on the base of that handguard with the weak hand. With the right leverage the delta ring will tilt down enough to let the base of that handguard slide out.

Now turn the rifle 180 degrees, use the same hand positions, and repeat for the other handguard.

Installation is the reverse process.

HTH

·
"Death From Above"
11,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It has a WOA free float tube for the front handguard. I never had a proem with the A1 I was issued a hundred years ago(seems like it anyway). I tried to get the buggers out so much so my forearms felt like they went through a workout. Problem is not the ring is the handguards are in there tighter than a deer tic. I can seem to hold it in place long enough to get a screwdriver in there to pry the handguard out. Certianly can't get it to budge with my fingers. Thought having the tool would make life a little easier. I ordered one from Fulton armory about ten minutes ago olongapo with an A2 front sight tool and another sling. Not a big fan of the "silent sling" I picked up the M14 style sling in black with the c clip. Not sure if it is legal for NRA or cmp but I can always switch it back. Thanks for all the replies

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Yup, it's the free float tube, and your handguards are unmodified standard length.

I went thru the same thing with my CMP-legal type free float tube.

If you can get the handguards out one time, go to work with a file and shorten the back. I ended up shortening mine by probably 1/8" or so. You will also notice that the part that fits under the delta ring has kind of a tapered cone shape. You may also need to work on that a bit with the file to narrow the cone shape a little.

You will be able to get them down to the point where they pop in and out with reasonable, moderate effort. It's another one of those things where you remove a little at a time and test fit.

If you take off too much the handguards will be a loose fit and wobble, but if you go that far new handguards are cheap.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Never had a problem with removing the hand-guards from a WOA upper with the tool. It is a tight fit because of the float tube, but they come off...

·
"Death From Above"
11,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Roger that guys I will let you know how I make out the tool and the weights should be here this week. Nice to have you guys to fall back on. It's been 19 years since I fiddled around with the 16 and the one I was issued was loose as a goose. I knkw how they come off I just never had them be this stuborn. The tool has to make it much easier when the components are brand new. Thanks again for the input!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Roger that guys I will let you know how I make out the tool and the weights should be here this week. Nice to have you guys to fall back on. It's been 19 years since I fiddled around with the 16 and the one I was issued was loose as a goose. I knkw how they come off I just never had them be this stuborn. The tool has to make it much easier when the components are brand new. Thanks again for the input!
Could always go call Hollinger with questions about taking his rifles apart.... dance2

;)

·
"Death From Above"
11,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Called before I posted this and spoke to Paul at the shop. I asked him if they glued them in or used silicone because they are in there so tight. He said that's the way they fit "our handguards fit tight". Not much of a conversation thereafter. That's why I posted about the tool, I figured I would need one if they are that tight. He mentioned I way have to use a screwdriver to pry them out even with the tool. Seems that may bugger up the plastic so I am going to ask the mechanics at work to make me a delrin wedge or I may just use a plastic putty knife. Problem was I could not hold the delta ring down and work the screwdriver at the same time. I consider myself handy around the shop but as the old expression goes the right tool for the job. I wanted to get a front sight tool anyway and the sling. Fulton just happened to have all three.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts