M14 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I'm torn on what to do so I'm just looking at what some of you guys have settled on or would have done differently. I am considering the Fulton, Ultimak or similar for the option of a forward rail. But I'm also thinking about pulling the scout mount all together, going basic, and adding the sadlak mount later on. I won't be able to get to the range for about 2 more weeks so I have time to tinker with my setup a bit before I get to run some rounds out of it.

I just received my socom 16 and upon disassembly to grease and check clearances the handguard fit horribly.....like grade a dog crap. It hit on the receiver, all 4 sides of the scout mount and the stock. Once I started clearancing it for proper fit it's apparent that once I achieve this it's gonna be chopped up and look like hell. The best way to describe it is the scout mount opening isn't perfectly centered so once I got that opened properly the op rod side has a HUGE gap and the opposing side is hitting the full length. Add to that the clearance at the front band and the receiver were both so tight it was basically wedged so badly it had some vertical bow to it! In order to get things to fit i had to take enough material from so many spots its just UGLY and doesn't fit worth a damn. I've been googling a bunch, but feedback is all older threads so I'm looking for some more recent input.

Y'all weren't kidding when you said SAI didn't care much about fitment. I had to shave a lot of material out of the stock under the op rod just to get it to cycle cleanly. It was cutting a groove into the full length of the stock. Once I got that cleared up everything else seems good and it fits the stock well, but the handguard, as mentioned is a lost cause.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
586 Posts
Typically on most guns the stock bits are the first things to get tossed (like I did with my Mini-14's stock bits way back when). With M1A especially like the M25 you expect perfection right off the bat (I mean after one drops silly money like I did). Even if one dropped $2,000 it should be better than "good enough for "Government" work".

There was a dude selling off a rail for Scout for $200. I'll see if I can find it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Typically on most guns the stock bits are the first things to get tossed (like I did with my Mini-14's stock bits way back when). With M1A especially like the M25 you expect perfection right off the bat (I mean after one drops silly money like I did). Even if one dropped $2,000 it should be better than "good enough for "Government" work".

There was a dude selling off a rail for Scout for $200. I'll see if I can find it.
First off, thanks for the reply. I'm on tapatalk with my phone, and for some reason it doesn't like this forums search so I'm digging for info as best I can before starting a question.

To start, a few members here already pointed me in the direction I needed to make sure the rifle was properly clearanced out of the box. This disassembly and info helped me find these issues right away before I put a single round out of it. The stock fitment isn't bad, save for one spot. To me that's expected as I've had to fine tune fitment on most my rifles. The handguard was another animal though. It's useless. 100% no matter how I were to have done it. I wanna just see who's done what and had good luck overall. Not sure if a front rail/handguard is as reliable as a sadlak mount on the receiver. This will be a 300m and in rifle so I'm really leaning towards a front rail and red dot setup.

Knowing myself I would rather spend the money one time if I see something I like and that fits the direction I'd like to build this rifle. I have dreams of a boyds stock and all the goodies but I'm gonna be realistic and say thats not gonna be this particular rifles direction.

·
Registered
67 Posts

I have a m14.ca handguard I’d let go if you’re looking to upgrade your stock unit it’s brand new and lightweight billet aluminum

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I have a m14.ca handguard I’d let go if you’re looking to upgrade your stock unit it’s brand new and lightweight billet aluminum
I'm interested. Is this the model that fits the socom 16?

·
Registered
9,256 Posts
The M14.ca handguard is a good product. I've got an Ultimak available but it's pretty well used and shows it, personally I'd take the M14.ca product due to it being like new and it's slightly lighter.

Reactions: Twarren92

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The M14.ca handguard is a good product. I've got an Ultimak available but it's pretty well used and shows it, personally I'd take the M14.ca product due to it being like new and it's slightly lighter.
I purchased the M14.ca unit so I'll surely add some pics once it's installed. Thanks for the heads up on key points to check with the new rifle. The stock needed a little love and the handguard was totally fubar, which led me to getting the new setup.

·
Registered
9,256 Posts
I enjoy the M1A rifle, it's a real tough rifle that lets you take fast followup shots when you need them but they just don't put the effort in the fit and finish that they should. Regardless, I've got several and appreciate each one for its strong points rather than focus on the weak points. Of course I also spend a lot of money trying to fix the weak points and I've been able to come up with a compromise that I'm really happy with for each rifle.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I enjoy the M1A rifle, it's a real tough rifle that lets you take fast followup shots when you need them but they just don't put the effort in the fit and finish that they should. Regardless, I've got several and appreciate each one for its strong points rather than focus on the weak points. Of course I also spend a lot of money trying to fix the weak points and I've been able to come up with a compromise that I'm really happy with for each rifle.
That was my primary reasoning, this thing is a little tank! I was surprised that the stock wasn't terrible quality, but surely wasn't fit worth a damn. I've got plenty of time with lesser rifles that have a plethora of short comings, but if I use them as I intended them to be they've not failed me. I'm hoping to find a nice balance of compromise and performance for this Rifle, and I came to terms with the cost associated with this. Same as with my vehicles, house and other projects if I'm gonna do it I'm gonna make it right. Soooo, if i end up down this rabbit hole head first, so be it.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Well good that both y'alls hooked up since I couldn't find that for sale post.

So hodgex1996 are you gonna bed the stock? Oh that reminds me what I meant by "stock" I meant factory.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well good that both y'alls hooked up since I couldn't find that for sale post.

So hodgex1996 are you gonna bed the stock? Oh that reminds me what I meant by "stock" I meant factory.
I've honest to god owned this rifle for 48 hrs, so as of this second I have to say no, simply off the fact that I haven't even fired a round out of it. I have researched it and I don't think the benefits would outweigh the costs for bedding on this particular rifle. This being my entry into the m1a world this one is gonna take the abuse and familiarise myself with the rifle. Call this one my "truck gun" per se, in my head it's my grab and go rifle.

I do 100% intend on building one from the ground up, but that won't be for a while. I've seen some awesome builds on this site, some days I really dig the new modern BF and Archangel stocks, and others there's nother better looking that an old school looking Boyds walnut bedded with all the fixins that have it shoot as good as it looks.

This forums is gonna be trouble for me I can see it already!

·
Registered
495 Posts
To me, the real question is "do you like a scout mount"? I tried a scout rail on my M1 and didn't like it. I took it off and went back to irons. When I put an optic on my M14, I went with a traditional mount over the receiver.

I think you should give the scout mount a trial run with the factory equipment first. Try it out, see if you like it. If you do, invest in the scout mount of your choice. If you don't, invest in a receiver mount and a new handguard instead.

·
Registered
9,256 Posts
If you're not careful you'll end up with something like this

This is the current version of my SOCOM, it's not gadgetry, all the changes give 1 MOA plus or minus a quarter MOA with just about any ammo from 110 grain Vmax to 180 grain TTSX. I switch between the Vortex PST II and my XPS-2 holographic sight depending on my intended purpose.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you're not careful you'll end up with something like this
View attachment 434019

This is the current version of my SOCOM, it's not gadgetry, all the changes give 1 MOA plus or minus a quarter MOA with just about any ammo from 110 grain Vmax to 180 grain TTSX. I switch between the Vortex PST II and my XPS-2 holographic sight depending on my intended purpose.
That is a gorgeous rifle. Can't say I'd be terribly upset if I ended up there.

For now I'm gonna just see how it runs and go from there. The M14.ca handguard is on the way and that should hold me over for a while. I need to feel proficient with irons again before I'll move forward with optic and stock changes. It's been a while since I shot full power cartridges or past 150m with iron sights. I guarantee the rifle will be more precise than I as a shooter for a while.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts