M14 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is would a slotted handguard be more correct with a walnut or burch stock? Or did it not matter what type of stock was used? Were slotted handguard used by all 4 USGI makers? I asked this question due to me reading about burch being a substitu for walnut when it starded to be harder to get.

I know the M14 starded with a wood handguard then went to a slotted fiberglass then the solid fiberglass one. I know the solid one starded out thin then was made thicker to take the beating they got from hard use.

I also read the wood handguard would catch fire under full auto from the barrel getting hot. The slotted handguard would cause mirages from the heat from the slots.

Thanks for the help on one of my silly questions on putting my rifles together. I know we can not have real M14s unless you are a millionare.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I think you've answered most of your own questions. Well done. :)

As far as which is "correct", due to the loss of optics using a slotted handguard, I would just go with the solid. I don't think there is any "correct" handguard unless you have an original select fire M-14 and are putting it back to factory specs.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you've answered most of your own questions. Well done. :)

As far as which is "correct", due to the loss of optics using a slotted handguard, I would just go with the solid. I don't think there is any "correct" handguard unless you have an original select fire M-14 and are putting it back to factory specs.
I have one of each and like to play dress up with my rifles. The burch stock on my LRB has the best fitting handguard with a like new slotted handguard that I have. Just saying.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
birch came later just like the solid handguard came later.....so i would say use walnut for the slotted handguard.

i on the other hand just just go for what looks cool. here is my birch with the slotted handguard:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts