M14 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a Grendel AR that I still have to install the flash hider, and I have ordered a set of aluminum vise jaws, but I am afraid they will be wider than I have barrel access. This will necessitate the removal of the MI tube. Since I bought this rifle that was built by someone else, and I know nothing of doing this, can someone give me some pointers on removing the tube, installing the flash hider and putting the tube back on? Are there any secrets to installing the ejection port cover?

Thanks in advance for any help provided

Redraider

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
6,787 Posts
Post a picture of the rifle and forend, there are so many now and they all have a small difference in there removal style.

Casey

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, it may take awhile to get things out and situated for a photo session, but I will do that asap!

Thanks

Redraider

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Get one of the DPMS polymer action blocks, I think they call it the claw block. Stick it in a vise (pretty self-explanatory). That will hold the receiver tight and allow you to put the flash hider on.

As for torque on the flash hider it doesn't take much. Just enough to where it requires a tool to remove.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Also the secret to removing the ejection port cover is that you should never have to remove it for any reason.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
The Geissele Reaction Rod works wonders in such a situation.
It slips through the receiver and engages the barrel extension lugs.
But at about $ 100.00, unless your building your own rifles it's not as cost effective as the polymer receiver block.

Glenn

·
Registered
612 Posts
A block of wood in a vise does a good job.Just need to do some sanding and hacking with a chisel but it works.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,

I tried to include pictures (who knows), as I see it I have to remove the hand guard or cut the vice jaws down approx. 1". Which would be easier?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Obviously no pics, I have them on my desktop, I clicked go advanced, browse, they show as attachments but not here, I missed something!

Thanks

Redraider

·
Registered
643 Posts
Hi,

Are there any secrets to installing the ejection port cover?
It should be installed before mounting the barrel to the receiver. The rod that the cover rotates on is kept in place by the barrel nut, and a very small E-clip.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
It should be installed before mounting the barrel to the receiver. The rod that the cover rotates on is kept in place by the barrel nut, and a very small E-clip.
I can replace the entire ejection port cover assembly on an assembled rifle in less than 60 seconds. I suspect that anyone who has done small arms repair for more than a few months can perform this same replacement in similar time.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi,

I talked to a local pistolsmith, and he agreed that depending on model, the removal of the handguard can be a pain. He also agreed that having a machine shop cut the new aluminum vice jaws down to fit would be easier, as that is what he did with his own. As for installing the cover, I have seen it done on youtube, and just thought someone might be able to give some tips.

So, I will have my vice jaws cut, and carefully install the cover(which was never in place), and hopefully get to shoot this thing before too long.

Thanks

Redraider

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
I'm guessing it's the old style tube. Just screw it off.

Put rifle between legs and do i

Watch a YouTube how to remove free float tube.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts