M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 928,000 SA CMP SG M1, and it has a M(W?) on the op rod near the handle. It's a 35382 6 SA rounded rod which is correct as far as I can find. Could the M stand for match, as it is marked in the same place as my later NM rod?

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Its either a inspectors mark or Magnetic particle inspection (magnafluxed) that didnt get removed, not sure anyone knows for sure. You will occasionally see the DOD "Eagle & Stars" stamp on HRA op rods that was supposed to be removed before final finishing

·
Registered
6 Posts
It is a test mark. Magnetic Particle Inspection looks for flaws in the part. Also called Magnaflux. Uses a magnetic field and iron particles. Any flaws break the field in the part tested and the iron particles will cling there.

·
Banned
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did all op rods go through MPI, and they missed removing the mark on mine?

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
I went and looked back through my notes and in a Garand Collectors Association Magazine there was a all original 43 Garand that had a SA 6 op rod that had the exact same letter "M" . The article went on to say the meaning of the letter was unknown

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.