M14 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys great sight. I am no expert on the m-14 trying to learn.
My most important question for the experts here will be is the gun legal for a regular Joe to own?
This gun was taken to a gun guru because the rod would disconnect from the bolt sometimes after many shots often blamed on cheap ammo.
The guru was not happy and said the gun was not legal to own.
So with a flashlight and Google and researching this site, the gun was discovered to have very lightly etched marks with "Hahn machine st Charles".
The selector switch will move but has never been switched to try at range.
Also the gun appears to have a modified number looks like heat was involved changing outside numbers it is now only stamped with two digits.
So what do the experts say legal or not
Thanks

· Registered
Custom service rifle builder
9,373 Posts
This is one of those things that must be seen to fully understand what it is. The rifles Hahn made up were welded receivers from demilled rifles. At the time he was doing this it was legal. Now it's not. However, Hahn rifles were approved by the ATF at the time and are now grandfathered in. My concern is that you mentioned it has a selector lug with a loose (?) lock. If the lock can be removed, it can be replaced with a selector switch which would make it very illegal. I don't know if Hahn was licensed to manufacture full auto weapons. Even if he was, those rifles made FA would be illegal if not properly registered. Without pictures of the selector, that's all I can tell you.

· Registered
3,361 Posts
the rod would disconnect from the bolt sometimes after many shots often blamed on cheap ammo.
------------------
The rear of the oprod can become 'dismounted' from its track if the oprod handle is 'pushed or twisted up/down' when the oprod is manually pulled backwards and released to feed a round.
The oprod should be pulled straight backwards and then fully released - there's no need to ease or guide it forward.
Sometimes the oprod is easy to purposely manually dismount from the track, but it will still work ok when firing if it's handled properly.

If the bolt lug comes out of the oprod 'cam hump' with the rear of the oprod still in the track, then there is something mechanically wrong.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

· Registered
2,402 Posts
Expert ? Me ? No how , no way
I would measure/inspect the op rod tab it may be out of spec
Also check the op rod guide for alignment and side to side rotational movement

I noticed Hahn filled in the mid dismount notch for compliance , I believe your guru freaked out with the selector mount and components still present on the receiver
You might want to neuter that

· Registered
Custom service rifle builder
9,373 Posts
Ok, I see it has a selector switch installed. No big deal. The selector has been welded so it's not operational, but I have not seen any other Hahn builds like this. The ATF may have a cow over it or they may say it's OK. From the looks of the weld I'd guess Hahn may not have done that part. I'd expect better work from him.

My best suggestion would be to stay away from this if you are considering a purchase.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since I have limited knowledge of the M -14 I am not sure what the normal look of the selector area should look like. I am comparing to other pics. I can see that something in the area of the switch has been changed.
Ok so if this gun falls into the "grandfathered" area and is legal what actions should be taken. Does it require paperwork, registration from local or federal,or does person in possession simply show the upset party the crude welds and say it's a Hahn custom get lost?

· Registered
791 Posts
It does not matter if the selector mechanism is functional or not. If the selector lug is attached to the receiver and that receiver is not property of the U.S. GOVT., BATFE will consider the receiver contraban unless it is registered as an NFA weapon. The only exception I know of to this is the factory TRW U.S. M14NM s/n 1453711 which was declared a semi-auto only Title 1 (non-NFA) firearm by the U.S. Federal Court.

Factory TRW M14NM s/n 1453711: It is not mine but I wish it were. Damn fine U.S. M14 rifle! Note the welded selector lock. As I understand it, this rifle was given to one of the "friends of the (TRW) company" in the early '60s. In addition, a handful of factory TRW U.S. M14NM rifles were openly sold in good faith of being Title 1 (non-NFA) firearms at the Camp Perry Nationals in the early '60s. TRW assumed (ass-out-of-you-and-me) that their M14NM rifles were all Title 1 (non-NFA) semi-auto only firearms. WRONG! The fact that they were not MGs and never had been MGs did not matter to ATF. At one time, ATF ordered any & all "M14" marked receivers in civilian hands confiscated as contraban unless they were registered as NFA weapons. Thru the decades, that ruling has changed but only somewhat.

EDIT: JMHO, but if TRW's attorneys had challenged ATF's ruling back in the early '60S, we might now lawfully own factory TRW Title 1 (non-NFA) semi-auto only U.S. M14NM rifles. The TRW M14NM rifles were specifically designed from the ground-up to be semi-auto only rifles. They were not MGs, nor had they ever been MGs, nor were they easily converted to be MGs. .02

Photo of factory TRW semi-auto only U.S. M14NM Rifle s/n 1453711 kindly posted on the internet by the current owner: We do appreciate it!

· Registered
2,402 Posts
The rifle lived life as a M14 it was then de milled
Once the receiver was cut in pieces the ATF considered it scrap iron
Haun re welded the scrap pieces together and manufactured a semi auto rifle with a 2 digit serial number with ATF permission

The grey area is the presence of the selector mount and switch still on the receiver

Get a grinder and grind it off then enjoy shooting your semi auto rifle
No NFA no letters no paperwork because Haun did that already

It should look like this
View attachment 107642

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok thank you all for the help. I'm assuming I will grind selector switch because the gun cannot be disassembled and selector removed manually.
This gun is one of the finest shooting guns I have had my hands on when properly operating, my guy did say it needed a new roller and I'm sure I can find one here from a member.

· Registered
871 Posts
I would have no problem owning a Hahn conversion if I could confirm that it was a real Hahn. The problem is that the ones I have seen for sale on the web have had many different types of markings. Some have stamped markings and some have crudely hand etched markings, some are marked below the wood line, some are marked above the wood line.

I'll add that my understanding is that all Hahn conversions should have had the selector lug removed and the op rod cut filled in by welding.

Cass

· Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,967 Posts
Is the dismount notch for the op rod still in the middle like a M14? why does it look like there is a chunk of the rail for the op rod track missing on the bottom under where the semi auto notch should be?
I would pass on this rifle if it was me, if you already have it I would buy a semi auto receiver and use the parts to build a known legal rifle.

Casey

· Registered
2,402 Posts
Ok thank you all for the help. I'm assuming I will grind selector switch because the gun cannot be disassembled and selector removed manually.
This gun is one of the finest shooting guns I have had my hands on when properly operating, my guy did say it needed a new roller and I'm sure I can find one here from a member.
Not true check out our own tonybens u tube videos on field stripping and cleaning it's some pretty good stuff to learn by
You will have to break it down to find and fix your op rod issue too

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.