M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a M1 that is an H&R and everything is H&R except the bolt. I have been looking at parts like op rod, bolt and various other parts and they are SO much more expensive that the other manufactures. Could someone please explain this to me. Thank You

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
M1 Garand? M1A? I know CMP released quite a few H&R M1 Garands. The SgS etc. ALmost all you find left other than Springfield.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was looking a garand part on gunbroker, garand gear and a few other places. The we're asking over $250 on place for a H&R op rod. I was looking at getting spare parts and wow prices were more.

I did not know CMP had bolts for for $105 I will have to check that out. Thanks

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
If you buy a bolt from CMP it will be reparked and they are overpriced. Youu can get a original finish HRA bolt for around $80 and a Excellent condition HRA Op Rod for $150-$175 if you take your time and look

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
As to pricing of H&R parts, it could be that those rifles and IHC were not mfg. for WWII but during Korean "police action" if I recall correctly and therefore not as many on the market vs Springfield?? Just a guess.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can find H&R OP-rods for about $150-$175 if you keep your eyes peeled on the "for sale" sections on sites like this one and the CMP forums.
I've noticed most H&R parts only carry a small premium, if any at all, over Post-War Springfield parts in similar condition from my experience.

PS you're not allowed to complain about how expensive Garand parts are until you've tried correcting a Winchester or a Pre-War Springfield ICONWINK

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
As to pricing of H&R parts, it could be that those rifles and IHC were not mfg. for WWII but during Korean "police action" if I recall correctly and therefore not as many on the market vs Springfield?? Just a guess.
The IHC, HRA ,SA Post War rifles were not used in the Korean War. It was over by then. Rebuilt WWII Rifles saw actionin Korea

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
When I was in the service and carrying an M14 we always tried to get ourselves issued an HR. At the time it was considered Primo...TRW-not so much. That may have been because HR and Int Harvester had built Garands just before that era and the HR was considered far and away better than the one by "that tractor company"! The guys in at that time likely carried that preference over to the M14.

·
Super Moderator
926 Posts
When I was in the service and carrying an M14 we always tried to get ourselves issued an HR. At the time it was considered Primo...TRW-not so much. That may have been because HR and Int Harvester had built Garands just before that era and the HR was considered far and away better than the one by "that tractor company"! The guys in at that time likely carried that preference over to the M14.
Not sure why, but I've always preferred HR parts, on Garands as well as M14s.
I find it mildly amusing how the tables have turned lately and IHC is commanding stupid high prices, and Winchester Garands are also costly and really not that aesthetically pleasing. Collectors are getting crazy...... Not that I wouldn't like to have one in every variety myself, of course...

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
How come everyone now says that TRW Parts are the best to use on there M14 Clones? Everything that is TRW sells for much more then HR...

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
How come everyone now says that TRW Parts are the best to use on there M14 Clones? Everything that is TRW sells for much more then HR...
They were one of the 2 M14 makers that built NM factory rifles. TRW had the best tooling and machines of that time. They also had very low rejection rates on there rifles. TRW was the only one to have a one piece op rod.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
TRW only made like 11 parts on there rifle. The rest was subcontracted.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Who can explain "mystique"? When M14s were starting up, in the late fifties, TRW was a very new company formed around the Thompson auto supply company in Ohio. Two PHDs (Ramo and Woolridge), tired of Howard Hughes' foolishness, bailed out of Hughes Aircraft and formed (T)hompson(R)amo(W)oolridge with the supply company.

So in the earl sixties, at least, one reason TRWs weren't so popular was that no one had ever heard of them. Secondly, all the companies were having very real start up problems with the M14 and it was actually the government arsenal (Springfield) that was largely responsible for getting it sorted out.

But Harrington & Richardson had been around for a long time...had a good reputation and had had fewer problems than the others cranking up production. Furthermore H&R had built a very good Garand that users of the era were comfortable with.

I don't know when TRW became the manufacturer of choice or why, as that was after my time, but assume it was deserved? It could be too that TRW became a big name in aerospace and people might think that is the "zenith" of modern manufacturing skills and technology and that it carried over to the M14 rifle?

·
Super Moderator
11,030 Posts
Hello,
I have a M1 that is an H&R and everything is H&R except the bolt. I have been looking at parts like op rod, bolt and various other parts and they are SO much more expensive that the other manufactures. Could someone please explain this to me. Thank You
I don't know how this went from a M1 conversation too M14's but I will get us back on tract. H&R M1's rifle have always been good shooters as too why there costs have gone up they have been the flavor of the month for sometime now. I think they call it demand and when someone wants the same stuff that drives the prices up.

Now that CMP has released IHC rifles and sold them all inside of a week, the H&R prices will come back to down and IHC parts are starting too climb, so there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Reactions: Mainzer

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I don't know how this went from a M1 conversation too M14's but I will get us back on tract. H&R M1's rifle have always been good shooters as too why there costs have gone up they have been the flavor of the month for sometime now. I think they call it demand and when someone wants the same stuff that drives the prices up.

Now that CMP has released IHC rifles and sold them all inside of a week, the H&R prices will come back to down and IHC parts are starting too climb, so there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Probably because I completely missed that the OP was talking about the M1 and not the M14. Sorry about that.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I think H&R parts are higher right now is because demand is higher as people by the mix master H&R rifles CMP is selling now. I have one and would like to have a correct grade H&R, but the parts are expensive.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts