M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Medic,
I've got four on different M14 types and I've never had any problems at all. Some have suggested that a higher percentage of H&R Op rods fail than the other USGI manufacterers.

·
Registered
114 Posts
KY Medic, I traded a Winchester bolt for a H&R a few weeks ago and in my opinion the H&R has a better machined finish. I'm happy with it!

and it holds the same measurements as well.

·
Registered
126 Posts
One of the posters here mentioned he didn't like the finish on a bolt he had so he traded it. I have several of all manufacturer's bolts in my spares box and I notice the finish varies pretty widely, within the same manufacturer, by lot code. The best looking bolt I have, finish wise, is a Winchester. By co-incidence, the worst looking one (machining marks) is a Winchester also. The other makers vary quite a bit also by lot number.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I seem to remember hearing that there were issues with some of the HR bolts. Not the "HRT" marked ones, but a different marking.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Early, 1960, H&R Rifles had receiver and bolt problems. Rifles were blowing up. It was found that the wrong steel was used in some receivers and bolts. Also found was that the bolts were not being properly heat treated and that the bolt lugs could crack and break off. H&R rifles were recalled and run through a magnetic analyzer to check the steel used in the receivers and bolts. The magnetic analyzer could also check for proper heat treatment. Have you ever noticed the "M" penciled on the bottom of the bolts? The "M" means that the bolt was checked with a magnetic analyzer.

Regards

Ox

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
:D Heck yes its good H&R made good Rifles. Thats all I ever had when I was in. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.