M14 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If any of you has GWLA receiver 146, 147, or 148 please PM me. I'm trying to pin point a machining change from earlier production. It is not anything significant or that effects functioning. I'm just trying to determine when various changes occurred.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
It is after the group buy.

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It would have been after the group buy as noted and probably around September of 2016. The change also effected T44E4 receiver with the possible exception of 1100 which was the prototype. I have noted it on the last few unfinished receivers in my possession including two numbered 2 and 3. I think these were possibly numbered as replacements for receivers that were destroyed due to defects.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Ted if you have not done so, check my receiver in your possession. I had the option of all the receivers noted when I purchased mine.

·
Retired
4,642 Posts
If any of you has GWLA receiver 146, 147, or 148 please PM me. I'm trying to pin point a machining change from earlier production. It is not anything significant or that effects functioning. I'm just trying to determine when various changes occurred.
I just checked mine and it is 144. Close, but no cigar...

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have had replies and it looks like the change was made at 149 so anything later would have it. This only includes ten finished receivers before they shut down operations. During the course of GWLA production I had the fortune and pleasure to do evaluations and make suggestions to help GWLA improve what was already an excellent receiver. I was also responsible for talking them into making the T44E4 receiver. I have only been able to confirm four were produced. Charley did beautiful work and I wish they were still at it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Morning men. This is my first writing since we shut down the operation. Ted Brown help us tremendously and without his input we would not have made the quality we did. Charlie's knowledge of Old School machining was the base to interrupted the 50's blueprints. He guided me into purchasing the Haas VF2 and tools we used to make our receivers. Ted's critiques were tactful but enabled us to correct or improve what was on the blueprints. I shot at the Talladega 600 last November, think it was then, and GWAL 1 shot better than the man pulling the trigger. I'll have two, maybe three, in tow for the NC match in late April. The other rifle we used was 40. GWLA didn't achieve the financial success I had hoped but we made receivers we are still proud of. I still own and train at Gunport. I have rifle classes where we teach setting up the M14 and M1 sights up and marksmanship. Check us out at firstclassarmstraining.org and let me know what you did with those receivers! Gary

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a correction to post number 8. There were actually five T44E4 receivers made by GunWorks. They were serial numbers 1000, 1001, 1002, 1100, and 1200.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Check us out at firstclassarmstraining.org and let me know what you did with those receivers! Gary
El Quatro is at Ted's House, beginning to get born into the world as Skipper's Lil' Buddy, fitted with a bolt and an LRB 18.5" Medium weight DMR barrel.

Thanks for making some history.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
GWLA 1041 "Big Wood"

Good to hear from the creator of this exceptional receiver

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
What is the machining change?

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Probably the most significant change was in the shape of the right side bolt locking shoulder. Not a big deal, but it did make the receiver more to spec.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts