M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When doing the National Match mod to the tab on the Gas Cylinder do you recommend grinding off the corners or completely removing the tab?
What purpose does the tab actually serve anyway?
Many thanks

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Unless there is interference between the tab and the handguard, then I wouldn't do anything to the tab.

By altering the tab you make the gas cylinder not useable on an 'as issued rifle' for Garand matches, etc.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am accurizing a Garand and this is a mod I was wanting to do. I realize it isnt legal for as issued matches

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Orlando, you just put a bevel on it. Gus might have a better answer for why the tab is part of the g/c's design; my GUESS is to catch the op rod in front in case it derails at the rear so a grunt wouldn't have to go fishing for it if he was getting shot at.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for thr replys. Any advice on the easiest way of grinding off the corners of the tab? Bench Grinder?

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
I've used a steel-cutting file, a Dremel carbide grinding bit, a bench grinder. You only need to take enough off so that the front handguard band, once it's glued on, will be permanently relieved from the tab on both sides.

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
I've used a steel-cutting file, a Dremel carbide grinding bit, a bench grinder. You only need to take enough off so that the front handguard band, once it's glued on, will be permanently relieved from the tab on both sides.
Definitely agree. I've seen all kinds of ways the sides of the tabs have been modified, depending on who or what service did it and in what time period. Many of the modifications were not done very neatly, though.

What I do is take and even amount of metal off both sides and keep it parallel to the length of the tab. Where the thinned sides meet the body of the cylinder, I use a small rounded radius cut to make it look better.

I do not know exactly why the tab was put on the gas cylinder other than to guide the gas piston and rod into place and perhaps for support during functioning.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts