M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope everyone had a safe and joyous Thanksgiving...

Yep, it's a very nebulous question -- one that could have so many answers. There's so many different "interest and involvement" levels out there...

Nevertheless, we all know that there's "the right tool for the right job," so let me create a scenario to dimensionalize the question:

Let's assume that I can "tinker" to the point where I can COMPLETELY disassemble and reassemble my M1A. As such, I've got gas cylinder pliers, castle nut pliers, the bolt takedown assembly, a ball peen hammer, a set of punches / drifts, the flash suppressor alignment tool and an assortment of hex wrenches and a torque wrench...

What else would I need / want to round out my tools ??

If I wanted to unitize gas cylinders, bed my action, install a new barrel -- or build an M1A from scratch (as I believe many of you have done) -- what tools and equipment would I need ?? Want ??

Thanks in advance -- and Happy Holidays to all !! >;)

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
for barrel installation you would need a receiver wrench and barrel vice. You may also want a indexing setup although not absolutely necessary. I've used the level technique.

other tools that would come in quite handy.....

dremmel tool and assorted bits
parkerizing tank and chemicals (tanks can be purchased through Dan's sporting goods....that's where I got my small one)
Lathe
milling machine

most of this stuff is more business minded as for the average gun owner is too large of an investment for occassional use.

For example: it would be far cheaper to send parts for parkerizing to Warbird, Ted Brown or Dan's sporting goodsthan to purchase the equiptment necessary. Same for unitizing gas cylinders. Heck even though I could probably do a unitization, I don't, I leave it to others such as Hueygunner or Warbird here on the board.

One has to pick and choose his investments to warrant his involvement. JMHO

·
Banned
611 Posts
They pretty much covered it. I personally use a thick peice of glass for indexing barrels on M-1 and M-14's. I have the alignment rigs but they are a pain to use and the glass table works flawlessly. Just lay it upside down with rear sight removed and front installed. If it rocks it is'nt indexed right yet. I then sight down the barrel like the old timers did just to make sure.
For barrel vices and receiver wrenches there are lots of choices but the wrenches brownells has with interchangeable heads are my favorite. I made my own barrel vice and it is nothing more than a small shop press with a thick steel 2 peice sleeve that holds home made 2 peice lead inserts to grip the barrel. They are easily made by making a form and centering a barrel in it then pouring the lead around it. Then saw it in half and you got a perfectly formed barrel vice block. A little talcum powder helps it grip even better.

Parkerizing and bluing is where it gets really expensive. I had to have my tanks custom made because there were none commercially available in the size I needed. They are stainless steel of course for parkerizing. I made my own bluing tanks from 1/4 inch iron. I had a bunch laying around and I know it's a little thick but it works and was relatively cheap.
Chemicals aren't really cheap and are constantly being replenished or replaced. One drop of oil will ruin the parkerizing bath in a hurry so cleanliness is next to godliness as they say.
You can do it but like Hawk said for just one or two guns it's easier and a lot cheaper to just send some of the work out to those of us set up for doing it comercially.

Hawk does some great parkerizing work too. I thought I would give him a little plug since he gave me one. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.