M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Mr. Wolfe-

I was going to send you an email for a quote but I figured it would be better for you to see what I was talking about in person.

Since I have no providence for this being a "Devine" rifle I am considering "sprucing it up" as a common shooter.

RIFLE PICS HERE::::: http://m14forum.com/devine-m1a/1869...-range-no-devine-proof-what-would-you-do.html

Couple questions for you, and you can email me direct if you would like at [email protected]:

#1- What would I be looking at cost wise for a repark and rebarrel of this using my supplied parts? I would also supply non-NM parts to replace the NM ones.

#2- Since this barrel is in pretty good TE/ME condition, is it possible and worth trying to remove the little vise teeth marks instead of replacing the barrel?

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I called his number on M14parts and sent him an email earlier this week about doing a build for me. No response as of Today, (Saturday). I hope he is doing OK.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I have had work done by Mr. Wolfe, Mr. Luppino and Mr. Brown.

I generally am patient. Very patient.

I hope this comes across as advice. They all do great work, but none are a drive through, and likely have many other jobs going at the same time.

·
Registered
8,372 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
E-mail sux, texting too. Simply picking up the phone and talking in plain English seems to be a lost art.
A telephone conversation would be my preference. I left him a voice message late today on his shop phone line. And, It was a little before five PM when I left the message.

I did get an email from him early this Monday morning.

I'll try him again tomorrow morning. I want to discuss the particulars of my project and the timing of bringing it to him.

IMHO, Email is best for simple questions, and simple replies.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
E-mail sux, texting too. Simply picking up the phone and talking in plain English seems to be a lost art.
You can do your job or answer the phone. That might sound a little too black and white, but the 'Where was I?' time following an interruption is substantial, often taking more time the interruption itself.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
He works. A lot. Patience is a big thing when it comes to custom work. Download a worksheet, attach it to an email along with your ideas and questions. That is how work usually goes. In the m14 world things move slow. That's just how it is.
Even worse in the 1911 world.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Having sat on both sides of this situation, a client trying to patiently wait on a gun or to plan a project and an employee of a one and a half (I was the half, maybeLOL1) man gunsmithing operation, I can tell you that emails are a far more efficient was to communicate in this scenario.

Every time a gunsmith has to stop to take a 5-7 minute phone call, and that would be a short call, 15-20 minutes of the work day is lost by the time the smith turns off-on machinery, removes-replaces safety equipment, etc. A well thought out email can be answered by the smith at his leisure, between jobs or before/after work by a similar well thought out email and the time is more easily absorbed by the smith.

Hiring additional personnel that are knowledgeable enough to answer the caller's questions may be a solution, but those hours go into the overhead of running the shop which increases the product cost and usually only serves to add to the frustration of the client who wants to talk to the smith doing the work on their project.

I have a restoration project of a Remington rolling block that has been at my gunsmiths for three years this February. I told him when I dropped it off and we discussed what I wanted that I was in no hurry. It sets in his "slow work" vise most days and he works on it during those inevitable 30 minute pauses in jobs while waiting on the current job to cool or warm up, epoxy to set, etc. When I get it back the work will be meticulous and the cost to me about a third of the regular price simply due to my being patient and the fact that he can consider it fill in work. This is not the first project he's done for me and we understand each other. The one time I broke a gun that I needed for a competition that weekend he had it done the next day and I appreciated it.

Think about this: most auto mechanics rely on diagnostic machines today and are simply parts changers doing manual labor. Gunsmiths are skilled technicians that rely on a trained MkI eyeball and their experienced "feel" of the job to work out what if wrong, then in a lot of cases the parts have to be hand fitted to the project. If gunsmiths charged the same amount per hour than mechanics do few of us could afford to have guns worked on.

Just my $.02.

Rob

·
Registered
103 Posts
Follow Up report: Tuesday I set an appointment to see him today around 11:00 am. Arrived about that time and met Jon. I brought him my JRA Rockola receiver, parts, stock etc, and reviewed what I wanted to have done. He made several good suggestions, and we had a very good conversation.
He is going to do an M21 style scoped build for me with a FDE Colored MODFIB stock job. He has over a dozen "Jobs" ahead of mine so it will likely be early next year before I get the call to come pick it up.

I held a one of his other rifle builds and the quality is apparent. What firefuzz said is true. Don't be in a rush if you want a quality job done.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Follow Up report: Tuesday I set an appointment to see him today around 11:00 am. Arrived about that time and met Jon. I brought him my JRA Rockola receiver, parts, stock etc, and reviewed what I wanted to have done. He made several good suggestions, and we had a very good conversation.
He is going to do an M21 style scoped build for me with a FDE Colored MODFIB stock job. He has over a dozen "Jobs" ahead of mine so it will likely be early next year before I get the call to come pick it up.

I held a one of his other rifle builds and the quality is apparent. What firefuzz said is true. Don't be in a rush if you want a quality job done.
Glad to hear!
I assume I still have about 2 months left before he completes my build, so knowing my rifle is one of those dozen is exciting! GI1

1 - 20 of 20 Posts