M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a local 'smith say he could complete a trigger job on my M1A. Well today was my first time firing it since he did the "work" to the trigger. I had 4 instances of double firing out of 40 rounds. At first, I thought that I was bump firing. So I then squeezed the trigger and held it back tightly. No double fire. Then I released the trigger and when it reset it fired. To sight In my Aimpoint I decided it was best to load 1 cartridge at a time. What the heck is going on here? What did this jack ass do to my gun? I'd like him to fix it but I don't want him touching my rifle again.

What parts should I buy to get this back in safe operation? I'm extremely frustrated about this right now. This is unbelievable.

Thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
He probably over cut the Hammer Hooks. A new hammer should fix it
This. Heard of it happening before with gunsmiths unfamiliar with the M1/M14 trigger.

Take it back, show him what it's doing, and demand a refund. Buy a new hammer, and send it to one of the usual guys on here to get it done. If you have the money, I'd replace the hammer AND then buy a complete USGI trigger group to get modified.

Might I suggest HGunner. (http://www.hueygunner.com/)

Reactions: garandfunk

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Man I'm sorry to hear that. Nobody touches my rifle but me or a recognized M14 Armorer. I'm considering pulling my trigger group & sending it here. From what I understand, his work is top-notch and the turnaround is unbelievably fast. Just for your consideration once you have new & un-boogered parts in hand.

http://www.triggerwork.net/m1m1a.html

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Man I'm sorry to hear that. Nobody touches my rifle but me or a recognized M14 Armorer. I'm considering pulling my trigger group & sending it here. From what I understand, his work is top-notch and the turnaround is unbelievably fast. Just for your consideration once you have new & un-boogered parts in hand.

No experiences with his work on M14s. Just don't have him do one of his "trigger jobs" on your FAL. Google is your friend.

·
Banned
160 Posts

1+ for this guy. Bill Springfield does fine work and I'm a satisfied customer.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
No experiences with his work on M14s. Just don't have him do one of his "trigger jobs" on your FAL. Google is your friend.
Yeah I don't know anything about his FAL reputation. I bought an FN Model 50.00 35 years ago, letting myself be convinced in '85 to sell it for literally 5x what I had paid in '78 still sickens me a little. My biggest firearms regret without a doubt. Bill Springfield's M14 reputation is gold as far as I've ever heard.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Then I'll begin my search for a USGI hammer and maybe a trigger group. This is incredibly frustrating man. The gunsmith will not receive anymore business from me in the future on any of my firearms.

Here are some pics of the trigger group.

Top of hammer:

Bottom of hammer hooks:

Side view of hammer:

Hammer locked back:

Hammer locked back, trigger slightly pressed and about to break:

Honestly it feels like I could drop a piece of paper on this trigger and it'll release the hammer. There is not any take up on the trigger at all. Do you guys anticipate that I need to order anything else other than the hammer? I may just track down a USGI trigger group and call it done. Does anyone know where I can find one?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Yep he totally FUBAR'd your trigger.
Good thing is he only boogered up the hammer.
Easy fix. Replace the hammer and you're back in business. Albeit with a heavy pull. Safe anyway. An M1 Garand hammer is exactly the same part.
As for Bill Springfield. I used to live Colorado Springs and had him work on a couple of rifles for me. The AR single stage was decent but nothing to write home about.
He did a trigger on a 1903A3 Springfield and it lost the 2nd stage after just a few rounds and that trigger is the easiest one in the world to work on.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just get a new hammer. If you want you can send it to me, I'll put a new Beretta M1 hammer in there and modify you to 4.75 lb and remove the creep. Mod is free.
Jason, what's the total with return shipping. I trust you among several other guys here to get me up and running again.

What a great group of guys.

·
Registered
198 Posts
As for Bill Springfield. I used to live Colorado Springs and had him work on a couple of rifles for me. The AR single stage was decent but nothing to write home about.
He did a trigger on a 1903A3 Springfield and it lost the 2nd stage after just a few rounds and that trigger is the easiest one in the world to work on.
I have used Bill Springfield as well. The triggers he did for me all "failed" in time.

Examples of the failures were, bump firing (sear engagement too light), trigger reset failure (had to push the trigger forward to get it to reset), premature wear on "altered" surfaces.

Thre triggers he altered for me were 10/22's, AR15's and an HK 91.

All failed within a couple of hundred rounds.

I will no longer use his services.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The funny thing was there were a couple of young guys shooting a Mosin in the lane next to me. They were talking about how cool it was that my rifle was bump firing. I politely informed them that the condition of my rifle was not cool or ok. My big brother was shooting with me and he was extremely wigged out about it. At least I kept her pointed down range and went to manually loading it.

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
$31.50

NOS Beretta M1 hammer. Return shipping USPS Priority Mail with delivery confirmation.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
The funny thing was there were a couple of young guys shooting a Mosin in the lane next to me. They were talking about how cool it was that my rifle was bump firing. I politely informed them that the condition of my rifle was not cool or ok. My big brother was shooting with me and he was extremely wigged out about it. At least I kept her pointed down range and went to manually loading it.
I had a bump fire happen when I was shooting with my dad last year. I knew immediately what the cause was (me - I was shooting off of a bench and knew I didn't follow through with the squeeze). Was not a pleasant feeling as I was using a chronograph. Luckily, I not only missed the bull with the second shot, but also missed the screens. Glad it only happened once.

New hammer will straighten it out for you.

·
Registered
316 Posts
what gunsmith in DFW did you use so I can stay clear. the fellow west of denton fixed my trigger grouping on my m1 garand when it was dropping out just from shooting, did not do so well on my m1a, which only needed new spring & spring guide. at least he was cheap, $20 for each rifle. he was supposedly doc's teacher.

·
Registered
839 Posts
he fugged up the hammer hooks, typical clueless gunshop job, like the jackwads whos idea of trigger work on a revolver means loosening the main spring strain screw ARGGH

Fortunately for you its easily fixable

1 - 20 of 62 Posts