M14 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
August 07, 2014 / Written By Greg Gutfeld / Fox News

Dartmouth student, Taylor Woolrich, says, she may leave school because she can't carry a gun on campus, despite having a crazed stalker.

When Woolrich was 16 an obsessed middle age creep -- not me -- would follow her home from work. She filed a restraining order but he kept at it, promising to visit her at school and showing up at her front door. He's in jail -- found in his car: a noose, knife and gloves. To be fair, maybe he was on a scavenger hunt.

Woolrich still lives in fear, but Dartmouth won't budge -- which I get. But if I were her, I would still pack heat.

Now, I get the concern about arming co-eds. I went to college once -- I think. But, there are kids that same age who carry, it's called the military. They can handle it. Stalkers are called stalkers, because they don't quit, which means their target has just one recourse: "boom."

But this anti-gun push is more about the sexist notion that girls shouldn't have guns. Guns are deadly objects, but so are cars. Perhaps only men should drive.

The fact is, guns do more for female empowerment than modern feminism which prefers government as their protector. But legal ownership gives you real power, equalizing the battle between you and evil. Ask any girl: The confidence from learning to shoot a pistol is far superior to any gender studies course, and a stalker is less likely to stalk if you can ventilate his groin. Which is why a whirring bullet is the ideal rape whistle and the real feminist icon should be Annie Oakley, not Sandra Fluke.
http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/the-five/articles/Greg's Monologue

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
The problem with this story is that sooner or later Woolrich will get out of jail.
Usually it's by being a good boy and getting out for "good behavior".

More than not he will probable take up where he left off.

It will still be a burden on the woman to disappear or be ready to defend herself until this creep is deep sixed.

It's a no win situation for the victim.

Especially if the guy is so mentally gone that he would decide to kill her then commit suicide.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
All the laws in the world mean nothing when you are dead. I don't condone disregard for laws, nor do I think I am above them. But there are times when laws must be ignored for your own sake. I hope this girl arms herself and practices with her firearm on a regular basis.

The stalker is just waiting to get out; nothing has changed.

·
Registered
547 Posts
She must do what she must do. The police typically are 30 minutes to an hour away from response. The courts may not see your side and only look at the interpretation of the law. I guess my time on jury duty was a learning experience. The defense lawyer I guess was going for what the definitions was of the charges and a couple of other things to get his client off on whether or not his client was high on drugs or not.

In the topic being discussed, women do need to know how to defend themselves just as much as men. We also have to be prepared for the aftermath of the shooting.

Defiant001 said it best the old adage, "better to be judged my 12 than carried by 6."

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Had a female classmate who was concerned about walking home from late classes. Her father bought her a 3-shot .22lr derringer/revolver designed to looke like an art-deco necklace. It was only about twice the length of a .22 round. The charm had no manufacturer's markings and I have never seen another. She wore it daily for three years, on a campus that would have expelled her for carrying.
There are ways for the creative to protect themselves.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I don't know if it's just the girls I've encountered but from my experiences it has been impossible to teach a woman how to shoot a handgun. There was one that had potential had we stayed together longer she would've gotten somewhat good but every others girl has been just terrible with almost no hope of getting the hang of it. That being said any female that's even willing to try and learn is alright in my book. I'm always trying to get my mom to get and carry a little handgun with her for protection but she says the gun would most likely be taken from her by the assailant which is a good point. I know there is some gals out there that have put in the time training and becoming pretty good with a handgun, I've never met one though. Those women are smart and have a huge leg up when it comes to being protected than the average woman

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Boomer, it sounds like you need to meet more women. I know a handful of women that are adequate with a handgun, two of which give me a run for my money. Having taught marksmanship for many years, I've learned that women have more potential than men because they don't let their egos get in the way and they pay more attention to detail. It's simply a matter of having a decent instructor and the desire to learn.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've learned that women have more potential than men because they don't let their egos get in the way and they pay more attention to detail.
I second that statement;

I have taken quite a few of my girlfriends out shooting, usually their first time, and once they get comfortable with the weapon we are shooting...their groups are damn near as good as mine! GI3

Reactions: OnnaMishun

·
Registered
362 Posts
I don't know if it's just the girls I've encountered but from my experiences it has been impossible to teach a woman how to shoot a handgun. There was one that had potential had we stayed together longer she would've gotten somewhat good but every others girl has been just terrible with almost no hope of getting the hang of it. That being said any female that's even willing to try and learn is alright in my book. I'm always trying to get my mom to get and carry a little handgun with her for protection but she says the gun would most likely be taken from her by the assailant which is a good point. I know there is some gals out there that have put in the time training and becoming pretty good with a handgun, I've never met one though. Those women are smart and have a huge leg up when it comes to being protected than the average woman
I find that women are naturals when it comes to shooting. First time female shooters do better than first time male shooters. They listen to and follow instructions. they are more relaxed and don't have a show off attitude in my observations.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
One other thought that you might have not considered.
In my experience, "Hell hath no fury than a woman scorned".

Even my wife of 29 years has ,from time to time, aimed objects at my head
after some perceived slight to her personally.

I may be called a bigot but women tend to fly off the handle a lot easier than men.

It's easier to duck a dinner plate than a bullet so maybe it's not a good idea to have a gun within easy reach.

Even if they shoot someone it's so easy to claim one of the many maladies they seem to suffer from as an excuse for their actions. PMS, post partum depression, and they get away with saying spousal abuse a lot.

The courts always give them the benefit of the doubt in those cases.

So it's kind of a double standard.

But I guess it doesn't happen that often.

·
Registered
401 Posts
get a

North American Arms .22 magnum with a "folding handle grip and inside the belt clip". Local gun store has equipped ALL of it's employees with this "Hide revolver" as back-ups to the open carry heat they all wear in the store. Owners wife is 5'1" and 120 maybe. She can also shoot your lights out !
Not a great self defense weapon but beats the heck out of nothing. I have seen the .22 mag in action and I have absolutely no desire to be shot by one. I have No affiliation with NAA other than a .308 Guardian w/ Crimson Trace grips as back up for my Walther...or my Colt...or my ...oh never mind !

In South Carolina we've never had a CRIMINAL charge made against a Concealed Permit holder...well over 60,000 of us for many years now. Just a thought to ponder.DI2

·
Registered
356 Posts
I will say that in the "firearm community" there are women that can shoot. But after looking back at some of my girls friends and buddies girls that tagged along.....I think Boomers right. There is just something thatmakes them unnatural at shooting. The biggest thing is the eye closing. If I don't get out enough and practice, I can pick up some bad habbits. But this one girl we took out was doing fine, and we weree cheering her on, then the bullets started going off target. And then she was pretty inconsistant after that. Come to find out she had her eye shut and was just pulling the trigger. We just hadn't notice because we were looking at the back of her head. I just geussed it and she sheepishly nodded her head. Lack of upper body strength and loud noises I think are the culprit.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Heya, Boomer....If you find one that knows how to handle brass instead of....well, you know...lol. J/K...having a little fun with that one. You kicked that door wide open. There are those of us out there and a lot of us just as much a lady when we're shooting as when we aren't. Get past surface conversations with a pretty lady and learn more about her before taking her shooting. If she's constantly whining, worried about her nails breaking, wondering which mall she's going to next, which of her girlfriends she needs to call because there's so much drama and gossip going on, or her purse collection isn't big enough...run...and I mean run...lol.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
But this anti-gun push is more about the sexist notion that girls shouldn't have guns. Guns are deadly objects, but so are cars. Perhaps only men should drive.
I feel like this is a bit of a stretch. More likely that the campus, like virtually every other campus in the US, does not want weapons on their grounds, regardless of the gender of the carrier.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.