M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well gents. Here they are. I was the first official sale for the GWLA line of receivers. #21 31 and 1066 for custom tribute build. First off I would like to thank the GWLA team for allowing me to come and take a look around as well as Rick Bowen for telling me and keeping me in the loop about these since I first got to meet him in early 2014.

Picked up my recoevers on Thursday and they had to sit and wait for me to get the day off Friday. Less than 24 hours later, I have two complete GWLA guns on all Winchester kits.

Loaded up early Friday and shot on over to Ricks place. We first started on number 31. 31 was built on a all Winchester kit with an original marksmanship unit unitized gas system with NM flash hider. ( when I recieved this kit and the whole barrel was built with an epoxied in place hand guard. ). Barrel read 0 and 0. The shoulders had not been worked, so when put on the reciever it clocked in at 13.5 degrees. So we did nothing to the barrel to install it. Used a GI Winchester bolt that needed ZERO laping. That's rights. Did not need to lap for lug contact. All other GI parts for like a dream. The spot face heel cut is perfect and bolt hits evenly. There is no hump in the inside heel like the 3 JRA's I have. Absolutely no working of any kind was needed in the receivers to get something to fit.

Build 1066 which is a tribute build to PFC David L. Denny who was killed 10/18/1966 1066 sports an Obermyer heavy 5R barrel that was on my #325 JRA. All other parts were GI and again no laping needed for my Winchester bolt to get lug contact. Build went super smooth.

Number 21 sits in the gun safe to never be built cause it is the first offered reciever from GWLA.
I don't wish to hear anything about Ripp on any comments,this is about the GWLA receivers.
Started the builds at 8:12 am and we're done at 12:30pm. JRA 325 was in barreled and all 3 barrels installed on 31 1066 and JRA 325 in an hour and 40 minutes. Could have been faster but hey it's hot here in the south.

While at GWLA picking up the receivers, I talked with Charlie and looked at the batch. The first 12 show end mill cuts before he switched to a face mill. So if you get any of the lower serials you will see end mill cuts. JUST so you know.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Cool, can't wait to see the up close pics!

Reactions: m14brian

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Nice report, glad it went well.

Where did headspace end up with the USGI bolt and barrel? That's always a concern for folks who want to build with USGI chrome barrels...

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
17,664 Posts
Looking for the pics too! Congrats on the builds, and owning their 1st commercially sold receiver.
m14brian

·
Premium Member
18,077 Posts
Nice report. Congrats on the 1st.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Good to hear you had a successful build. Wise move on #21.
Hope the dimensions don't change as production moves along.

Congrats,

SMAWman

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
I'm very glad to hear this news. Competition always improves the breed and lowers cost for all of us. I wish them great success and if yours is any indication they've built a winner.

Reactions: Jersey Devil

·
Registered
8,673 Posts
Any reason the clip guide pin is not fully installed????

1 - 20 of 35 Posts