M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Dad just bought this Springfield Armory NM M1 Garand from this last gun show. I think he paid $1300 for it. What a beauty! The wood shows some wear but is still very nice.

Serial #3167xxx
Barrel # SA F6535448 5 56 A227B

Front Sight: NM
Rear Sight: NM/2A
Rear Sight Knobs: NM
Op Rod: NM
Gas Cylinder: NM

Trigger housing #D28290-5-SA
Hammer #C46008-2-SA
Sling: MRT 12-86

Bolt: D28287-2SA
J9A
Muzzle erosion: 1
Throat erosion: 1.5
The owner said it needs a skim bedding job. I can't wait to go shooting with the old man!

Based on these numbers and parts on the rifle, I believe it is a true NM rifle. What say the experts? All the parts (except trigger assy) listed have NM stamped in them including the barrel at the gas cylinder

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Congrats to your dad on his new rifle. It looks great, especially for that price. I've been waiting for that special M1 but haven't been lucky enough to find it yet.

·
Super Moderator
11,136 Posts
Sorry for the bad news.

I hate too rain on your parade but your rifle, is, rebarreled with a NM marked barrel and some added NM parts.

#1. Your barrel would match and be correct for a rifle/reciever in the 5.95mil range if there was no star.
#2. The rear sight wouldn't have a NM/2A base or hood apt on a type 1 NM rifle.
#3. For a correct NM M1 rifle the op-rod would be a SA65 or SA77 series op-rod, no SA op-rod would have NM stamped on top of the handle, you have a RA77 series NM marked op-rod, Remington made so many NM op-rods they were used for the M1 rebuild program.

I'm sure its a great shooting M1 and from the pic's its a good looking rifle as well, I sugest you go over to www.jouster.com and they will guide you to what is and isn't correct for a legitimate NM M1 rifle.

Your DAD paid alot of money for this rifle, I just hope he doesn't own a rope and have a tall tree in the backyard.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you are saying $1300 for a rifle in the condition it's in, and all the NM parts is too much? How much would it cost to aquire all these parts? I bet it would cost more than 1300.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
It didnt look right to me but I wasnt 100% sure
Shouldnt be bedded either on a early NM should it?
If it were a real NM rifle with documentation ,$1300.00 would be a great deal

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
CMP charges a little fee to research a rifle by SN and inform you whether it's in DCM's or CMP's records and issue a certificate if it's documented. That one I'd think was built by or for a Highpower shooter or rifle team before there was a CMP, maybe '70's-'80's. Looks well done.

·
Registered
714 Posts
If it shoots well and meets your shooting expectations it's a good deal.
If you bought it as an investment and expect to see much appreciation in value over the next few years you may be disappointed, imho.
If you find someone who really wants it, you may be able to make a small profit.
But please represent it for what you see in front of you: A Very Nice rebuild CMP USGI Garand that served it's country well and deserves credit for insuring our victory wherever it was carried by a GI.

Here's a WW-II M1 I got a few years ago from CMP: Original 1943 Springfield Receiver and 1943 Springfield Barrel:

The satisfaction of Garand Ownership: Priceless

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Whatever it is, it's a very nice rifle!GI6

·
Super Moderator
11,136 Posts
So you are saying $1300 for a rifle in the condition it's in, and all the NM parts is too much? How much would it cost to aquire all these parts? I bet it would cost more than 1300.
Yes, I think he paid too much. I also think that the person that sold him the rifle either ALLOWED him too think it is/was a real NM rifle or STATED it was a real NM rifle too your Dad, so he could get his asking price.

Yes, I see rifles in all kinds of shape some that look very nice too drug from behind a Jeep, rebuilt mixmasters too almost correct there priced up and down and everywhere in the middle. In my area $1300 buys a very nice almost correct rifle, I'm looking at a 5.94 rifle with a Feb/56 barrel thats correct with original parts finnish $895+tax but the stock is beat too hell.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I live in Southern California, you can't even get a junk garand for under 7 or 8 hundred dollars. Anything nice is well above $1200. But thats at gun shows and retail gun shops.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You can call the CMP-Anniston. 256-835-8455 ext 1119. Her name is Lynn. its about $25.00 but she will research your rifle. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Does he like it

If he likes the rifle that is all that matters. I own many Garands and enough spare parts to build many more. I have made some great deals and some that my pride forces me to deny. Love them all and enjoy shooting some of them and just possessing the safe queens. There are many in our hobby that will skin you in a heartbeat and Garands are very prone to misrepresentation and outright forgery. If you did overpay it was only by about $400.00, based on your description. The enjoyment you will get from this Garand is priceless. Join the CMP, it is easy, and get your ammo at a price that you can afford to shoot .

·
Registered
569 Posts
CMP charges a little fee to research a rifle by SN and inform you whether it's in DCM's or CMP's records and issue a certificate if it's documented. That one I'd think was built by or for a Highpower shooter or rifle team before there was a CMP, maybe '70's-'80's. Looks well done.
They charge $25.00. I would do it, if it was my rifle.

Charlie

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Their records dont go back very far, dont believe they have any records from DCM and Orest has stated that they have a less than 5% hit rate

·
Registered
901 Posts
While it may not be a "NM" M1 Garand Rifle, it is most likely a very nice "Match Conditioned" M1 Garand rifle built out of old "NM" parts

I would imagine that it is a great shooter and worth what you paid for it.

The thing about a real "NM" rifle is that thier value is as a non shooting investment, if you want a shooter, then what you have will likely work out very well.

·
Registered
743 Posts
The CMP does have the records from the old DCM National Match sales. They verified my National Match type 2 that was sold in 1963.

Cass

·
Registered
505 Posts
Take it to the range. Soon you will fall in love with that last round Ting.... Everybody wants one. I'm glad there is one in your family now. The Greek ammo is cheep and re-loadable.
Every old war movie I see I point out the Garand and proudly make the comment "I have one of those in my safe"GI1

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That is not the only Garand in the family. My dad gave me my first rifle and it was a Garand. And he just gave my brother his first Garand. There are three Garands, two M1A's, A BAR (Ohio Ordnance), And a Tommy in the family.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts