M14 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the gun show Saturday I picked up an M1 from a guys table to show the father in law where the barrel is dated. The one I grabbed said 8/66, then the guy behind the table says," that one is rebarreld to 35 whelenGI, the gunsmith I got it from bought a bunch of M1 barrel seconds and had them rebored to 35 cal." Never thought one would work with such heavy bullets but he also said it shoots 180gr perfectly fine.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
www.shuffsparkerizing.com
home of the "mini-G" he to also can make rifles in .35 whelen
I think it's a neat idea! If I ever got one, it would be a full sized model. I have thought an M14 chambered in .358 Winchester would be pretty neat as well if using a vented gas plug.

·
Registered
495 Posts
its a really good and fun rifle to shoot.GI6 i actully kept mine in30-06, but did have the chance to have it in .35whelen. even shot Mr.shuffs rifle, I've always had a thing for the short rifles.
makes for a good brush rifle and if you go to his site. he shows a video of him hunting with it. I'll be tring mine out this hunt season. An since he cut the barrel back to 16.25 and recrown it muzzel is @ zero and i am getting about 2inch group at a 100yardsGI6

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I think it's a neat idea! If I ever got one, it would be a full sized model. I have thought an M14 chambered in .358 Winchester would be pretty neat as well if using a vented gas plug.
At one time, Springfield made their M1As in both 243 Win and 358 Win. They are out there if you look long and hard enough. You won't need a vented plug.
Right now there is a Garand barrel that has been rebored and rerifled to 35 Whelen on Gunbroker.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
At one time, Springfield made their M1As in both 243 Win and 358 Win. They are out there if you look long and hard enough. You won't need a vented plug.
Right now there is a Garand barrel that has been rebored and rerifled to 35 Whelen on Gunbroker.
I figured shooting a 200 grain .358 round would be pretty hard on the rifle without a vent...maybe not.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
its a really good and fun rifle to shoot.GI6 i actully kept mine in30-06, but did have the chance to have it in .35whelen. even shot Mr.shuffs rifle, I've always had a thing for the short rifles.
makes for a good brush rifle and if you go to his site. he shows a video of him hunting with it. I'll be tring mine out this hunt season. An since he cut the barrel back to 16.25 and recrown it muzzel is @ zero and i am getting about 2inch group at a 100yardsGI6
Tim has done work for me before, he does great work! Soon I will be sending an M1 parts set to him for a .762 NATO Garand build.

·
Registered
65 Posts
damn this thread! ive got that mini-g conversion website saved in my favorites now.... I forsee my garand being converted sometime next year :)

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
Had an M1 rebarreled to 8X57 Mauser. Sent a Douglas Premium barrel blank to the old Citadel Barrel Company back in 1996 and they made into an M1 barrel. Shot great with Portugese 196 grain 8X57 milsurp. Unfortunately I sold it to a friend to whom I owed a favor. How is that for heracy?

·
Registered
495 Posts
check his site on the mini-g when i was last there(1hr.drive from me) he was working on a mag conversion. shoot him a e-mail or call he'll tell you if ready or not?

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
The .35 Whelen is one of my favorite calibers for a brush busting hunting round. I fully intend to have on built on a Garand..........it's just buying a junker to have it done on that stops me. So far I can't resist the SG's!

·
Registered
393 Posts
If he would only offer a 30.06 mag conversion, parts would be in the mail
He does...give him a call...kit is produced by someone else, Tim was testing it several months back. Good thing is, it does not permanently alter the rifle. You can convert it back to original condition in minutes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
couldn't buy it, was just looking for some deals on .243 stuff for the wife's new deer rig. Price was $560, stock was kinda beat up and it was missing the front hand guard.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts