M14 Forum banner

Gun shop burglary

2564 Views 11 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Thedutchman
Last night someone used an SUV to smash the back door of Bill's Gun Shop in Lakeville Minnesota. Police are asking for your help. They figure 10 pistols were stolen in 30 seconds. Article can be viewed on wcco.com website Tom from Inver Grove Heights Minnesota
Reactions: Deek
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
12,553 Posts
A while back the Skagit Shooting range that I frequent was the victim of a similar attempted smash and grab, but they went away empty handed after driving their car thru the front doors only to find all the handguns locked up inside a steel roll top type display case. They got nothing. Don't know if the perps were ever caught.

· Registered
3,478 Posts
Bills doesn't have a gun shop in Lakeville.
It was Dakota Custom guns.
Seems to be a trend. A few months back Bills in Robbinsdale was smashed and grabbed. The same night Gunstop was tried but failed. About a year ago Guns & Gear in Rogers was broken into and they made off with a few 1911's and silencers.

Reactions: Deek and tomdokulil

· Registered
102 Posts
Seems to be a trend. A few months back Bills in Robbinsdale was smashed and grabbed. The same night Gunstop was tried but failed. About a year ago Guns & Gear in Rogers was broken into and they made off with a few 1911's and silencers.

I was just about to bring up the Robbinsdale smash and grab! I'm willing to bet that half of these guns turn up over the next year or two in north MPLS after being used in gang related shootings. A family friend worked at the Armory in NE MPLS. Someone followed him and learned his schedule assuming he had guns. When he went to work, they had 8 hours to cut into his safe. More than one of his guns turned up in North. He got his FAL back when the cops found it a few years after it was stolen.

· Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was just about to bring up the Robbinsdale smash and grab! I'm willing to bet that half of these guns turn up over the next year or two in north MPLS after being used in gang related shootings. A family friend worked at the Armory in NE MPLS. Someone followed him and learned his schedule assuming he had guns. When he went to work, they had 8 hours to cut into his safe. More than one of his guns turned up in North. He got his FAL back when the cops found it a few years after it was stolen.
Without a doubt these guns will be used in crimes committed in North Minneapolis. Wonder if the gang member will have to undergo background checks? What a joke!

· Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,909 Posts
That was a common thing here in Vegas a few years back, all the gun stores started to put a big chunk of cement K rail and bollards 5 feet deep in concrete in front of the doors front and back. pretty much stopped after that.

Casey

· Registered
4,244 Posts
I know, I know, way too harsh, but if stealing a firearm the thieves would be charged with a capital crime, and that includes death sentence just as it did in the "old West" when a man's horse was stolen. Stealing a man's horse could and did result in the owners life, but a firearm can cause multiple deaths as opposed to the horse only doing in one person. We all hear the clamor for harsher gun laws from some, well you can't get much tougher or harsher than this proposal. If the moderators find this overly offensive or harsh feel free to delete, not a problem.

· Registered
645 Posts
VFW 7200 Break-in (NE Ohio)

At least two shops have been hit like this in the Cleveland area in the past month!
They got the VFW post in Farmington OH on Saturday - all ceremonial rifles including safe stolen.

https://www.wkbn.com/news/local-new...rmington-vfw-stole-wwii-era-rifles/1349159211

This info is from the M1 Garand FB group:

"Saturday night between 11:30pm and 7:30Sunday morning VFW Post 7200 was broken into. They knocked the block out of the wall and made off with 3 safes. 2 of the safes contained money and the 3rd had 9 M-1 Garand Rifles in it belonging to The US Army. One safe was a Liberty 18 gun e-lock safe purchased 11/06/2014 serial # L001654791. There was paperwork for the Liberty safe inside of it. The other 2 safes had money, ledgers, and documents. The M-1 Garands are all Springfield Armory Rifles with serial nos. 745137, 3116877, 688871, 5228369, 3605680, 657265, 1168855, 346916, & 1684051. This was reported to Trumbull County Ohio Sheriffs Department"

· Registered
3,478 Posts
Tom, No one knows where these guns will be used. You know it, I know it, the crowd knows it. Violence does happen in North Minneapolis. Heck, I was serving on a jury that convicted a Hopkins man of murdering a kid. What about that Brooklyn Iowa Woman that was kidnapped the other week? Brooklyn Iowa. Town of 1,000 people. Literally in the middle of Iowa. I've been in that town. It's like Tyler Minnesota.
Let's just say that "most" cocaine will show up at Hopkins Highschool or that "most" Black tar Heroin will be used by students in Lakeville. That's not true either. But it has happened. I've taught many a high school student from both High schools who say the've known kids who have used one of those drugs. Talking with their parents has improved my understanding of how bad stuff is everywhere.

My cousin, who works for the FBI in Minneapolis, told me that most of the stolen "gun shop guns" are found (if found at all) show up in neighboring states.

Dutch

· Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tom, No one knows where these guns will be used. You know it, I know it, the crowd knows it. Violence does happen in North Minneapolis. Heck, I was serving on a jury that convicted a Hopkins man of murdering a kid. What about that Brooklyn Iowa Woman that was kidnapped the other week? Brooklyn Iowa. Town of 1,000 people. Literally in the middle of Iowa. I've been in that town. It's like Tyler Minnesota.
Let's just say that "most" cocaine will show up at Hopkins Highschool or that "most" Black tar Heroin will be used by students in Lakeville. That's not true either. But it has happened. I've taught many a high school student from both High schools who say the've known kids who have used one of those drugs. Talking with their parents has improved my understanding of how bad stuff is everywhere.

My cousin, who works for the FBI in Minneapolis, told me that most of the stolen "gun shop guns" are found (if found at all) show up in neighboring states.

Dutch
Dutch, regardless of where these 10 pistols end up, most of this wouldn't be happening if the perps were given stiff sentences, no parole, no plea bargaining or early release. We have a justice system that is broken, not a gun show buying problem. Only other way is if a straw buyer is involved, which I'm sure happens but even then there's a Federal law that's suppose to take care of that. Read in the St. Paul Pioneer Press last year where a straw buyer was released after only a year and a half of a 8 year sentence. We're never going to solve this terrible problem with a slap on the wrist! And yes I do write my local politicians about this. Hope you do too!

· Registered
3,478 Posts
I 100% agree with ya on that one. I do write my clowns. Got a letter from the Mr. Ellison a few months back.
Got a letter from Dayton too. Albeit one of those auto response deals.

Dutch

Reactions: tomdokulil
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.