M14 Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
...For the guys shunning Facebook..... you're doing it wrong. GI2 You're obviously here, on an online forum. The only difference here is this is a very focused group. Many walks of life, but generally one driving interest. We still get the loonies though, just like other social media. Maybe you need to work on your filters. Facebook is only traumatic if you let the loonies in. If you do it right, you'll spend your time like I do. A few news topics, some family photos, a few funny memes, and a buttload of gun stuff. GI1 On my feed today, Sierra Bullets, Gun parts, Pin-up Girls, Rat Rods, a little politics (gun control the last couple days) and some other good clean fun.
I will pose a counter argument (I do see your wisdom and your point is well put). I am a member of only a couple of "very focused" weapons related forums, but I don't do "Mainstream Social Media" like Facebook, MySpace, etc... for a few reasons. 1. I honestly just don't trust them with my information, 2. I do not even want to waste my time trying to apply filters when it is already so time consuming in real life, 3. I really don't care if I don't see that "my niece had a ham sandwich for lunch yesterday" (good one RNS), 4. I think it detracts from real interaction with people and is turning society into Zombies.

Sort of to your point though, I do see it as a major battle ground for many political and controversial matters. Truth be told, I would rather not be involved in those types of things either, but I understand it is a fact that is around us always. In today's online world, I see it as a place that both sides of the arguing/fighting/lobbying should be well versed and educated on if they desire the upper hand in what ever their cause.

All in all, it is just not my cup of tea. In relation to my Zombie comment, I find myself telling my daughters to put down the iPhone, iPad, tablet, etc... and do something outside. I understand their need for it in today's age, but I balance it with real life socialization like soccer, softball, dance, and of course shooting. They are all Honor Roll and stay out of trouble, so I allow it in moderation as long as they at least try the real world stuff. Maybe just a little too "old fashioned" here but I still think that it is real world contact that makes us human. And it is days like this below with my daughters that makes me remember why I am this way:

Reactions: arcticdog

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
This statement is absolutely true, I could not agree more, but what are we going to do. We have forgotten how beautiful it is to have "unalienable rights" and the social democrats are very excited to do away with them. No one believes we could end up in a police state. I work with many foreigners and from the more intelligent ones this is exactly the sentiment they express. Many wish they had a constitution that protected their rights.
Utopia has never existed. Stalin murdered some 20,000,000 people trying to eliminate dissenters. Mao did worse. Japan has a relatively homogeneous society because of all the dissident slaughter during its shogunate period. Utopian societies only exist under the heel of a boot...that's as good as they will ever be.

Why educated people believe they can 'get it right this time' baffles me.

A relatively free and tolerant society, complete with all its faults..is as good as it's going to get.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The second worst thing about FaceBook and Google is the "invisible hand" that filters what you see AND WHAT YOU DON'T SEE.

I posted on a page regarding Dunkin Donuts employees refusing to serve policemen. Several people "liked" my post and at least one commented on it. However, I wasn't able to find the darned thing again. FaceBook only shows you what THEY think is relevant.

The worst thing is the personal information that they collect on you. When I go browsing for a router, then visit FaceBook only to see router ads it gives me the creeps.

What I didn't understand until recently is that millennials don't watch TV. They don't read newspapers. Ever. Instead they get "news" from FaceBook, Buzzfeed, and the Huffington Post. I just looked at BuzzFeed and saw a headline "In Texas It's A Crime To Be Poor". Hmmm, wonder what their agenda is.

My point, again, is that if we ignore the lies and propaganda on social media we can get blindsided by bizarre events.

Such as an utterly inexperienced and unknown Chicago politician who might not even be an American citizen and sure doesn't act like he is getting elected PRESIDENT.

Seriously, I'm still trying to understand how that happened.

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
They're drilling a dry hole.

I have a facebook account for the simple reason to see what my grandchildren who live from one end of Texas to the other, and my oldest grandson in Oregon , are up too.
Having said that, everything on my account including my name is a lie. I don't converse on there , I merely watch what's going on with my grandkids from a distance.
The following is my facebook photo
View attachment 62867
If there mining info from me it's a dry hole.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ha! None of my liberal fb friends (some old fraternity brothers who should know better, some high school friends who I mostly avoid) won't even let me post on their posts after the last emotional snit they collectively had about "gun" control.
Weak.
Because they know I'll eat their lunch. Most of them are way smarter than I'll ever be but at the end of the conversation they have to admit I'm right (facts don't lie).
So they tend to revert to three old liberal tactics:
1. Name calling
2. Emotional appeals
3. Head in the sand

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
The Second Amendment is located in the section of Amendments defined as the 'Bill of Rights'. This is an enumeration of INDIVIDUAL rights...not powers of the state or federal governments.

Any anti firearm movement is unconstitutional when sponsored by a government (local, state, federal)...simply an act of personal activism and not supported by legitimate law.
It's sad to realize just how ill informed our SCOTUS justices are. All one has to do to acertain the thoughts of the Founding Fathers on the 2nd Amendment is to read Federalist Paper #46. Madison was quite explicit in his reasoning WHY an armed populus was a deterent to a standing army being used to suppress the civil rights of that populus.

·
Banned
654 Posts
After every act of terror, we are told we should not judge all muslims on the acts of a few. Isn't it time that the law abiding gun owners of America that didn't shoot someone today get the same treatment?
That, right there, is a perfect example of liberal Insanity/ Hypocrisy at its finest.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
The worst thing is the personal information that they collect on you. When I go browsing for a router, then visit FaceBook only to see router ads it gives me the creeps.

My point, again, is that if we ignore the lies and propaganda on social media we can get blindsided by bizarre events.
Not much info about myself on facebook. My settings are setup so only I can post on my "wall". Nobody outside my "friends" can view much of my photos, and I have to approve anything Im "tagged" in before it shows up in my feed. Birthday isn't even correct. GI1

It is a very useful tool for keeping abreast of things. What the good guys AND the bad guys are up to. Info isn't always accurate, but every "news" topic you look at usually has several associated links below it now. Makes fact checking quick. You can quickly disseminate info too. Tag a bunch of "friends" in it, and it will likely show on their friends feeds too. So ten people tagged could mean 200 actually see it. Thats good AND bad of course.

I have a facebook account for the simple reason to see what my grandchildren who live from one end of Texas to the other, and my oldest grandson in Oregon , are up too.
Having said that, everything on my account including my name is a lie. I don't converse on there , I merely watch what's going on with my grandkids from a distance.

If there mining info from me it's a dry hole.
My family is spread across the nation. My Dad moved to Michigan (where his wife is from) when he retired, so we are lucky to see them once a year. The grandparents REALLY appreciate it for the frequent update on the munchkins.

+1 on what you said, Girth.

I got off FaceBook when SEI went to my page and started copying my info and pics then reposting it with snarky/threatening comments during hammondj's dustup with them.
Don't forget you can "report" such actions. MUCH of their conduct is contrary to the facebook TOU. Some of the Veterans pages I follow are reported OFTEN by the limp wristed who are OFFENDED by the suggestion that those who love camels get what they deserve. The moderators who make "offensive" comments often get "banned" from facebook for a short time.

Ha! None of my liberal fb friends (some old fraternity brothers who should know better, some high school friends who I mostly avoid) won't even let me post on their posts after the last emotional snit they collectively had about "gun" control.
Weak.
Because they know I'll eat their lunch. Most of them are way smarter than I'll ever be but at the end of the conversation they have to admit I'm right (facts don't lie).
So they tend to revert to three old liberal tactics:
1. Name calling
2. Emotional appeals
3. Head in the sand
I got into one of those dustups not too long ago on my Cousin's page. The brainwashed trying to spread their FEELINGS about gun control. I made a grown man remove himself from my cousin's friends list, then his wife came on to ask us to "please stop being so mean to him". GI1 I printed out the entire conversation and took it to work so everyone else could have a good laugh.

On the gun control front, I actually made POSITIVE difference on facebook a couple months ago. The teenage son of a coworker's friend (hows that for networking?) made some comments about the "gun show loopholes" and "need for background checks" on a post my coworker made. Turns out this kid went to my wife's old highschool. Rather than ridicule him like I would most adults with the same mindset GI5 we actually had a nice long back and forth about how the laws REALLY work in our state. He was actually very attentive and seemed to be an intelligent young man. Hopefully I helped push another young mind in the RIGHT direction, or at least maybe he will think for himself when he hears people preaching on gun control. I offered to take him shooting, but he never took me up on that.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
If he is Conservative I dread there thought of what Liberal is . Good God !!! .
Chief Justice Burger and all the Ilk that believe that crap can BITE ME . Is that plain and simple enough
I do not do Facebook nor Tweeter . I am not belittling or disparaging those that do and respect you I myself will not stooping to the lefts level or giving up my Man card to argue with idjuts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Facebook problems fixed:

"Unless you're willing to personally attempt to disarm a Marine your opinion is irrelevant. Stop wasting my time."

It's not like you're ever going to change the other sides mind....
You raise a good point- If push comes to the proverbial shove how, exactly, will the anti gun tools force us to disarm? By lots of talking? I think not.

Just as funny- labeling Judge Warren as a conservative. He was anything but.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
i call bs

i just went thorugh my wall for the past 24hr and i have liberals on there, no gun stuff.

also just went through the hour by hour twitter trends and none were about guns.

yet i see these articles from conservative sources playing it up like its as big of a deal as the gay marriage stuff or blacklivesmatter tweets.

i feel like they are just trying to increase ammo sales and that this issue isnt on the front burner.

keep on fighting the good fight, but i think the liberals and the right can get together and try to curb mass shootings. however "gun violence" seems too broad.

didnt obama just bomb a hospital?

trying to confiscate guns in order to stop gun violence would tear this nation in half.

most are willing to let the mailman run off and marry the hair dresser, but the americam people will revolt against federal confiscation. knowing how nuts the left is:

the right revolts and wont turn over guns

the left goes and buys guns to kill the right, to end gun violence.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
i call bs

i just went thorugh my wall for the past 24hr and i have liberals on there, no gun stuff.

also just went through the hour by hour twitter trends and none were about guns.

yet i see these articles from conservative sources playing it up like its as big of a deal as the gay marriage stuff or blacklivesmatter tweets.

i feel like they are just trying to increase ammo sales and that this issue isnt on the front burner.

keep on fighting the good fight, but i think the liberals and the right can get together and try to curb mass shootings. however "gun violence" seems too broad.

didnt obama just bomb a hospital?

trying to confiscate guns in order to stop gun violence would tear this nation in half.

most are willing to let the mailman run off and marry the hair dresser, but the americam people will revolt against federal confiscation. knowing how nuts the left is:

the right revolts and wont turn over guns

the left goes and buys guns to kill the right, to end gun violence.
Dredsen - Are you calling me a liar? The memes and link in the OP came right off of FaceBook the day I posted it, and I'd seen more over the previous few days.

I don't appreciate the disrespect.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Today's FaceBook contribution to collective ignorance and misinformation:

http://www.martingrandjean.ch/united-states-guns-and-wars/

ALL firearm related deaths are included in these statistics. That means suicides which, unfortunately, are significant to the analysis. If someone really wants to suicide, does anyone actually think that not having a gun handy is going to change the outcome?

More importantly, the population has grown dramatically since 1968, let alone 1863. A chart showing deaths per hundred thousand using the relevant population data would be a lot more meaningful.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
OK - so I commented on the FaceBook post with the link just above. My friend from high school responded, including a command "and don't cite the Second Amendment." I elaborated a bit.

Now I see that my comments have been deleted from his page. I didn't even know you could do that, but he's a college professor so I guess it makes sense that reading any opposing views is offensive... WAIT, that doesn't really make sense to me!

So much for intellectual discourse.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
OK - so I commented on the FaceBook post with the link just above. My friend from high school responded, including a command "and don't cite the Second Amendment." I elaborated a bit.

Now I see that my comments have been deleted from his page. I didn't even know you could do that, but he's a college professor so I guess it makes sense that reading any opposing views is offensive... WAIT, that doesn't really make sense to me!

So much for intellectual discourse.
As I mentioned earlier, this is another reason I like social media, people show their true colors. If he is so quick to remove all evidence of your dissenting opinion, is he REALLY your friend?

I enjoy responses like your "friend's". I get to hit the UNFRIEND button. GI1 The idiotic party usually gets butthurt, and I usually hear from them later, at which time they only get MORE offended when I inform them its not just on social media that I have "unfriended" them. You think its OK to piss on others' constitutional rights so you can feel righteous? Then its no longer just a difference of opinion. They are a traitor in my eyes.

ALL firearm related deaths are included in these statistics. That means suicides which, unfortunately, are significant to the analysis. If someone really wants to suicide, does anyone actually think that not having a gun handy is going to change the outcome?

More importantly, the population has grown dramatically since 1968, let alone 1863. A chart showing deaths per hundred thousand using the relevant population data would be a lot more meaningful.
You're mistakenly under the impression that these people are concerned with facts, or even open to the idea that their "solution" won't have an effect. They are driven by FEELINGS and are in no way interested in hearing about anything that contradicts them.

Its a waste of breath arguing with them. I no longer waste my time associating with them in any way.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
"Friend" on FaceBook doesn't mean friend in real life. This is someone I'll see at reunions and that's it. No need to piss in his cereal.

Besides, I want to know what the "Progressive" movement is up to. Despite Dredsen's comments, there has been a lot of anti-gun propaganda since the murders in Oregon.

On a side note, why do they refer the murderer as a "shooter" instead of "MURDERER"?

P.S. He actually responded politely to my "did you delete my comments?" Message. Just said that he and many friends had to deal with a grisly murder years ago and didn't feel like making his FaceBook page a forum for gun control debate. That's a perfectly reasonable response IMHO.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
"Friend" on FaceBook doesn't mean friend in real life. This is someone I'll see at reunions and that's it. No need to piss in his cereal.

Besides, I want to know what the "Progressive" movement is up to. Despite Dredsen's comments, there has been a lot of anti-gun propaganda since the murders in Oregon.

On a side note, why do they refer the murderer as a "shooter" instead of "MURDERER"?

P.S. He actually responded politely to my "did you delete my comments?" Message. Just said that he and many friends had to deal with a grisly murder years ago and didn't feel like making his FaceBook page a forum for gun control debate. That's a perfectly reasonable response IMHO.
Thats where my "friends list" differs from yours I guess. I have a personal connection with most everyone on my feed. Generally either family, friends, or guys I served with.

I think what he probably meant was exactly what he said. He leaves no room for debate on the subject. He wants more idiot laws, and thats it, no debate allowed. He and his friends demand action to protect their sensitive feelings. Otherwise why post the article if he didn't want it discussed? Yep.... exactly the sort I cut from my life. Selfish and self centered, as if they are the only ones to ever experience tragedy.

·
Registered
274 Posts
What came to mind when I read that quote from the Supreme Court justice was a quote from George Mason, one of our Founding Fathers and neighbor of George Washington.

"I ask who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people..."

In context, he's speaking of the potential of having the upper class exclude themselves from military service in favor of sending the peasantry to do war on their behalf, but he most obviously believes that the militia was to regarded as the primary defense of the nation, and that the militia should necessarily consist of every able bodied man of every class. Not to do so would be to favor one class over another.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.