M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to wait a whole week to get trigger time with my Gucci'd SOCOM. Yep, long 8 days but well worth the wait. I have finally come to enjoy this little black beast and what it can do and what it will be capable of doing in the future. I now understand it is NOT a sub .5moa pop gun like my bolts, never will be but a lot more fun. Garbage in garbage out in the ammo is paramount and RemUC in crap and causing me to chase a few gremlins I did not have.

I woke up around 6am like any normal morning, brew was in the pot, grabbed up my traps for the day on the range, loaded up the rig and down the road I went. Arrived before 9am and not a soul there. I decided to keep things the same, most range days I shoot at different distances but this day I planned to shoot at the same distance so in my notes in my log, I can have a better base to decipher all the data. I wanted to sample the store bought ammo I currently have stock piled. Today's lucky distance was 50 yards.

I got everything set up and as I got behind my SOCOM, my EoTech was fogged up. Going from the 64 degree dry house out into warm humid rainy air was not on my mind so...EoTech fogged up. While I could dissect the 5" Shoot N C with 1moa read dot, is was still not ideal but I pressed on with pride.

My first target of the day was 3 rounds of American Eagle 7.52x51 168gr OTM, manufactured just for the M1A, manf #A76251M1A. For now, this is the store bought ammo I plan to run in my SOCOM. Still high for 50 yards but the accuracy is better then I thought. Cold bore group, the order of fire was first round dead center but high, round #2 was off to the right and lower and #3 was the highest hole.

Next group was RemingtonUMC 308 Win 150gr MC, manf #L308W4. As expected, accuracy is what I have been experiencing with this load...not that good. This is what I have been shooting, wife bought me a bunch so this has been my main ammo but once it is gone, I will keep some around for the grand kids to blast. First round was just right of center target, #2 was high and almost of the Shoot N C and #3 split them.

Next 3 shots were American Eagle 308 Win 150gr full metal jacket boat tail, manf #AE308D, #1 is the center hole, #2 to the left, #3 for right. So, its close to the M1A load in accuracy and performance.

While today this is a very small sample, I have about 300 rounds of the Rem down the tube sometimes chasing accuracy and I have come to determine Rem is just junk but for making noise and fun.

So now a little story. About this time I wanted to adjust the EoTech, the fog had gone and I want POI about an inch low at 50 for the M1A load. I went to get my tool on the bench and wasp were there crawling around and then I noticed some flying. A little RECONN and there is a jacket nest above my head and I guess the muzzle blast stirred them up. So, I wanted the little beast to cool down so I waited until they had gone and moved over to the far left bench. Plus, the sun had reached this area was cooking everything so I needed to move anyway. I was about to set down the beast when it looked like piles of pink grease on the bench. More RECONN and someone had shot a watermelon on the bench, and sprayed and left seeds, and melon goo all over the bench. Moved to the next bench right, checked, no jacket nest or melon goo so camped here.

After adjusting the EoTech, this was my group shooting Rem 150gr.

About here I noticed when I load-up my bipod for shooting, the whole bottom of the stock flexes and to some great degree. From here on out, I did not load the bipod but kind of free weighted it but with this comes lots of muzzle jump. Still straight back and up but bouncy none the less. I was really hoping I could load the bipod and stay on POA sight picture all mag but not to be. But, this still affords me the best possible support and besides, the bipod looks very beastly meaner.

Also, I use my rear hand fisted under the butt stock for support and on top of the sling pushing it to the rear. I found this also torqs the forgrip. From then on, I still fisted the butt stock but not snug pull on the sling.

Picture of my new favorite toy.

Another

And another.

And one more.

Since I was alone, I loaded up a mag, slung the SOCOM and walked down range training on some actual self defense drills with all the targets left there. I really like the AFG2 on the forgrip and its about exactly where I like it, maybe one pic slot closer but I am all smiles with it, I like it much better than a vert stick grip. Once I got down near the 100 yard line and out of ammo, stupid me said, now I got to go find all the brass bones I just trashed the range with.

I walked down the 200 yard line. There, I found a 8" pie plate with no holes, one small hole prob 223 hole above the plate in the plywood and no holes near the plate. So, I triggered off 5 holding one EoTech 1moa dot on top of the white plate. While I did not hit the plate, I saw my 5 rounds in the plywood circling it and since I did not have the camera with me for a pix, I was not all that glory full to show it anyway by walking to get it and then back. Plus I was walking plenty to find my brass bones I left, found them all but one.

Last fun of the day, this is 35 rounds full semi auto, this was about as fast as I could trigger them off and still stay on target bouncy bipod and all.

When I picked up my SOCOM from the bench to the rear after 35 rounds run hard, my hand touched my EoTech and was nearly burnt. So I felt the barrel and hand guard, and such and it was almost flesh burning hot.

So what I am finally learning is, RemUMC ammo has no consistency to it, it sprays all over round to round in a box and box to box.

SAI factory stock is very flimsy.

I like the AFG2.

I can shoot support better from a bipod than bag, my pack, everything else I have tried even though I cannot load the bipod.

Next Gucci is cheek riser and some rattle can paint. More than this ???? only time will tell.

I am not so sure now of inside parts; Sadlak piston and guide rod. I think with a little tuning, more time on the trigger and such my SOCOM will be around 3moa all day long with factory ammo and with rolled my own I think I can get near to the magic 1moa, probably cut it in half to near 1.5moa and I have seen and owned bolt guns shoot no less than 1.5moa.

While I was discouraged for awhile at my SOCOM thinking maybe I do in fact like my little back beast.

Hope at least one enjoyed this.
Thanks for those who read.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Nice report, that looks like a fun day. Are there drawbacks to filling in the drain hole with a sling stud? I don't plan on going diving with my rifle anytime soon, but might shoot in a service rifle competition.

I'm also hesitant to do any dremel work on my wood stock.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
SAI factory stock is very flimsy.

While I was discouraged for awhile at my SOCOM thinking maybe I do in fact like my little back beast.
I figured that just about right out of the box... I got a walnut stock from Fred's. I didn't think it would behave slinged up, let alone off a bipod.

Given a realistic role, the Socom is a fantastic weapon. I think it's easily a 1MOA shooter with handloads out to probably 300M, perhaps more with a scope.

I don't think the RP ammo is junk, it's just that your weapon doesn't like it... GI2

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Great range day!!!

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Very nice range report, thank you.
Now you have to go to Confession, because than much fun must be a sin.GI2

I found putting my Socom 16 in a wood stock(properly fitted) and reloading. have greatly increased the accuracy of my rifle. A Sadlak N.M. spring guide is a must have in my book. Other than that the options are up to you. I do have a SEI Socom gas plug. but that was an option I wanted.
Enjoy the journey with your Socom.
Glenn

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Sounds like a great day at the range. Thanks for the specific report and feedback on the stock and bipod. Looking forward to seeing how it develops as you make the changes you opt for after using it a while.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I knew the stock was flimsy but not as bad as it is. Even using the sling under my support hand under the butt stock and applying some pressure on the sling to keep it tight for support bends the forearm some. On my bolts I run HS and Mac and they are as stiff as an I beam and I can load them with no issues.

I did not shoot prone as the wasps were all over the ground and air on the far right bench and the melon goo was all over the far left and I do not like to go prone between benches due to all the spit juice. Next week I will get on prone. I will take a can of wasp spray.

Remmy ammo, I call it junk because of course my SOCOM hates it and I have been chasing a gremlin for awhile. I could get close to dialed, open a new box and/or another mag of same box and POI would have a dramatic change / shotgun pattern. Its why I called my SOCOM a 5-6moa shooter when in fact with better ammo even store bought ammo it is not. Last time I shot some good ammo for my bolt that proved that too is why I did the mini ammo test....shooting same distance too for an accuracy base. I am down to a box or two less than 20 boxes of the Rem. Shoot most of it up, then it will time to break down the SOCOM.

My lesson learned is, I cannot compare my SOCOM to my bolt guns in the accuracy area and I was. I was wanting to clover leaf 5 rounds with my SOCOM. But, I still want to be able to hit something out to around 300 with the SOCOM and with good ammo I do beleive it is possible now......a month ago I ready to sell off the SOCOM.

Thanks everyone

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.