M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the idea to Gucci up my SOCOM. Mostly I wanted a bipod for prone shooting since this is the majority way I shoot all long guns. I was looking at the Sadlak but this HB2R was only $6 and Harris web site said it was made for M14s both wood and plastic so I dropped the coin.

I also wanted a hand hold that keeps my fingers away from the rather quick moving op rod that yes, stupid me has that T-shirt. I was going with a simple vertical stick but we all know that is not exactly how you hold a stick and I got my eyes on the AFGs, felt it on an M4 and said yep, that is what I want. To mount it, I looked around and saw the Magpul rail, got the longest I could find at 9 slots and it fit perfect with the AFG2.

The Gucci parts list.
Harris HB2R bipod stud, Magpul 5L pic rail and Magpul AFG2. Not much to many m14 Gucciers but it is a start for me.

The tool used. I found the front area was very difficult to get the Dremel down in the stock to grind out the plastic. I ran the router bit long in the chuck. But this little router bit worked very well at chewing up the soft plastic.

Harris stud. I used the existing hole in my SOCOM stock for the stud, router the plastic down enough that it sat below the existing stock. Used the sandpaper wheel to smooth of the plastic fingers and then a sandblock to smooth it all out. I degreased the stud and applied a good amount of blue LockTite on the stud. Of course the thread pitch did not allow the stud hole to be perpendicular to the stock so I placed a washer first to get the threads to align perpendicular. Plus, I was doing this anyway for extra load distribution along the stock. Once on the stock. I used the course sandpaper wheel to grind down the bolt and nut plate for clearance.

HB2R Installed.

Magpul 5L pic rail. I was not sure exactly where to place the rail but since there was already a divot in the SAI plastic stock, why not. Plus, I wanted enough room between the mag well and the rail/AFG for my hand to carry my SOCOM this way so, this seemed logic place for the rail. In the center of the divot was a circle in the plastic stock, so I tapped a pilot, drilled a tiny pilot hole and then used a drill bit just big enough that I had to force the bolt through the hole. Snugged up the nut plate in place and then for the other hole, I tapped a pilot hole just proud long for some tension. With the rail temp installed, I outlined the both ends with a Sharpie on the outside of the stock where the rail goes, removed the rail and then used the Dremel sandpaper wheel to make the area between the the marks flat. This gave some surface area contact for a flat base of the Magpul rail on a round stock. Router this area was much easier than the front area. I outlined the nut plate with a Sharpie, routered away along the lines until deep enough for clearance, again used the sandpaper wheel on the the fingers hanging and block sanded to smooth it all out. The course wheel to grind it all down smooth and for clearance.

Once it looks like I had enough clearance, I would slide the barre/action into the stock and work the action very slowly feeling for anything, then pulled it out and looked for any marks showing rub spots. A trick to do is, place lipstick where you think you might have a high area, place the barrel/action into the stock, work the action, pull the top half back out and look for lipstick rub spots on the op rod, spring, etc.

Installed

Finished (for this project only) SOCOM at the range yesterday.

I hope this helps somebody, if not then good too but if was a fun project. Something to know though, the way the stock is made, the closer to the mag well you get, the stock gets thicker, the AFG had to be pulled apart to get it on the rail, there is not enough clearance with the stock thickness near the mag well to slide it on and of course it will not go on from the front, this was another reason I placed the rail where I did.

Lastly, the sling loops may hit the bipod support with spring. A quick Dremel on the loops will give room for the sling loops with bipod installed.

Thanks for looking, I will do a range report too as I found out some interesting things, good and bad.

·
Registered
637 Posts
The existing hole forward of the sling mount is for excess gas to vent out of. How did your rifle shoot after plugging that hole up? Otherwise it looks great, you did a great job!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See my range report.

Hole for excess gas....the stock is very lose fitting especially around the front band and stock so for gas....am I missing something that the gas would go straight down and out nothing but that hole? Or just needs an escape for pressure difference.

So fat shot just fine.

Now I wonder?

·
Registered
977 Posts
I have heard a couple of things about that hole.

ONe was excess gas venting. It might be nice to see a video of this actually happening since none of can see it when we are behind the sights. Anyone have anything like that? Maybe some sort of sand on paper that shifts around with venting through the hole? I don't really know how to differentiate that from sound/muzzle blast shock waves though.

Another thing I have heard is that it is a drain hole in case of liquid submersion, this sounds more plausible. Definitely a reason for not covering it, though its really only going to see a range, not a huge deal. Still, I like the idea of air flow to help keep moisture from collecting, especially since I have a wood stock.

I am thinking about the bipod on my scout, but I think I would look into mounting it into the forward sling holes with some kind of rail extension. No slander on your piece though, it looks tight!

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
Thats very good work Thanks!!!

I wonder if I could get away with that in communistafornia.......does it qualify as a "forward pistol grip"???????????????????????

·
Honorable Discharge
638 Posts
Thats very good work Thanks!!!

I wonder if I could get away with that in communistafornia.......does it qualify as a "forward pistol grip"???????????????????????
I believe the ATF ruled that it does not (they used an AR-15 Pistol as the test case). I'll try to find the documented ruling.

*edit* Found it. See this link, and the answer to question #7 as responded to by the ATF:

https://docs.google.com/fileview?id...1MC00NzVhLWI3NmMtZDRiNTMzNzdhMzUx&hl=en&pli=1

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the hole is a drain hole. I cannot understand how it would work as a gas vent as why would escaping gas from the piston/rod contact area be directed down and out the hole as gas would escape in all directions not out that hole and plus, the stock to action fit is very porous too for excess gas, unless I am missing something.

With the low area and hole in the low area in the forward area of the stock, sounds reasonable to tilt the rifle down to let water drain.

My SOCOM shot fine so....

The AFG is superb Vs a stick. Get one!!

·
Super Moderator
11,518 Posts
It's a drain hole for water. The excess gas vents forward of the front band and out the piston tail opening and into the stock. My Birch stock has no carbon near the drain hole but there is a clean carbon line behind it and the carbon spreads backward from there.

Tony.

·
Registered
11 Posts
45.308 - THANK YOU for posting these pics. This is exactly my dilemma with my Scout Squad I've had for all of 6 months. How do I put on the AFG without buying the whole stinking fore-end shroud or a JAE/SAGE/etc.? This answers my question and it's a mod I feel comfortable attempting. Will post pics as I go.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
It's a drain hole for water. The excess gas vents forward of the front band and out the piston tail opening and into the stock. My Birch stock has no carbon near the drain hole but there is a clean carbon line behind it and the carbon spreads backward from there.

Tony.
Yes 45.308, as per TB above it's meant to drain the water which would collect in the bottom of the stock. In your pics above with the rifle laying horizontal w/bipod extended, imagine that in a heavy rainfall. I just don't like the op rod/spring/piston moving around with a river of water underneath. dozier

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
45.308 - THANK YOU for posting these pics. This is exactly my dilemma with my Scout Squad I've had for all of 6 months. How do I put on the AFG without buying the whole stinking fore-end shroud or a JAE/SAGE/etc.? This answers my question and it's a mod I feel comfortable attempting. Will post pics as I go.
It was the cheapest way for me. The AFG2 is superb, I would probably place it slightly to the rear if I did it again, using a Dremel removing the plastic of the stock as it gets thicker to flatten the surface for the rail for room.

My likes to have the room between the AFG and mag for my hand for carrying probably not for everyone and the stock is very soft and easy to remove material to make room for the rail and AFG would take 10 mins.

I have since removed factory sling stud loop for more room for my hand between the AFG and bipod, using the sling stud on Harris bipod.

Its just a project for me.

Good luck

·
Registered
222 Posts
Ah, that thing with as many holes and open channels with a regular stock..... Wouldn't hold water or gas for spit.

Looks good bud!

Now..... Shoot that that stick til it wears out, and welcome to the real BRD!

Reactions: 45.308
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.