M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to everyone here at the boards!

I'm a newly minted, school trained gunsmith from Canada, and discovered the forum here this week doing M14 research...Lets say productivity in other work fell after that!

I'd like to say thanks to everyone, for the wealth of information that has been contributed to this forum. It is an outstanding resource and I am lucky to have found it/joined.

As I am sure everyone here knows, the Chinese M14 variants are very popular here, and as such will be run across a lot in the trade. That makes this site and all of your posts even more valuable. I won't be saying much unless I have something pertinent or a question, mostly lurking and learning, but you can all bet I will have a lot of reading to do. :)

Over the next few weeks, I will be tearing down my M-305 and rebuilding her with all US made parts aside from the Chinese receiver...I already put the poor girl through the ringer experimenting with all kinds of stuff at school, and decided I like the full barrel length, walnut stocked USGI style M14 the best of all...So she will become as close to one as I can make her.

The things I have learned here already will be of immense help, and I am sure the best is yet to come.

Thanks again, and take care, all!

Joel

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Welcome to the forum from NorCal. You will find a wealth of info here to aid you in the work on your rifle. Grab another cup and join in the fun.GITEN

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Daimyo, thanks for the welcome! I'd be happier with a LRB or 7.62mm Firearms receiver, but I could have found a cheaper industry to try to break into, it seems lol. I'd be halfway to a 7.62mm Firearms receiver on what I paid for just the freight on the lathe I ordered last week. Let alone a milling machine, sandblasting cabinet and all the other goodies I'll need.

Someday though!

In the meantime, the Chi Com was fun to chop the barrel way back on, practice threading for muzzle brakes, bedding, lapping in a new bolt, etc. Its kind of a...Foodstamp Socom rifle right now :)

Brycom1, thanks for pointing that out! I'm sure I'll be there quite a bit.

RET DEP 04, thank you, will do!

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Welcome to the forum, enjoy. I have heard that some chicom clones have pretty good forged receivers and can be worked into a very solid weapon. That's just what I've heard, sounds interesting anyway.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Rawnerves! Much appreciated!

I've heard/read the same things, in regards to the Chinese receivers but I wouldn't know...Wish I could have had experiences with USGI rifles, back when they were plentiful and cheap. I can post pics and info as I build the clone though, if people would dig seeing it and reading about it yet another time.

I am lucky enough to have a Winchester made M1 Garand and a GI M1 Carbine as a benchmark as far as quality goes though GI1

·
Registered
708 Posts
Hi Daimyo, thanks for the welcome! I'd be happier with a LRB or 7.62mm Firearms receiver, but I could have found a cheaper industry to try to break into, it seems lol. I'd be halfway to a 7.62mm Firearms receiver on what I paid for just the freight on the lathe I ordered last week. Let alone a milling machine, sandblasting cabinet and all the other goodies I'll need.

Someday though!

In the meantime, the Chi Com was fun to chop the barrel way back on, practice threading for muzzle brakes, bedding, lapping in a new bolt, etc. Its kind of a...Foodstamp Socom rifle right now :)

Brycom1, thanks for pointing that out! I'm sure I'll be there quite a bit.

RET DEP 04, thank you, will do!
Well then brother I agree. what better way than to practice on a non safe queen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.