M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No I don't need a shot of penicillin! It's my muzzle brake on my rifle, not my gun. DI2

I've got some green build up around the ports. Looks just like the patina that forms on copper. I have never seen it before. Anyone?

·
"Death From Above"
11,442 Posts
Its copper. Get a copper solvent and have at it. I use one everytime I use a rifle. Copper build up will effect accuracy eventaully. There are several on the market I use hoppes elite copper terminator because thats whats available at the local store.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Its normal. Its atomized copper that will build up in the ports of the muzzle brake. Now CLEAN that rifleDISHOUT.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
GI8GI8GI8GI8GI8GI8 Penicillin? Cover your muzzle!DISHOUT

Ol Hoppes will cure it. Give it a good wet brushing, and run patches through it. When you think you have it clean, wet it and let it set for an hour, then brush and patch her to a shiney brilliance.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The same thing happened to me too. I found out by accident (long story) that it was dried up copper solvent that I used to clean the rifle. Didn't wipe all of it out of the suppressor after cleaning the barrel and the gun sat long enough for the stuff to dry out and let the copper salts crystalize.

·
"Death From Above"
11,442 Posts
If you never used a copper cleaner gets some and follow the directions on the label. Clean until yiu don't get anymore green patches. Might take some time. Clean clean clean! Oh no I'm having flashsbacks of the company armorer.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you never used a copper cleaner gets some and follow the directions on the label. Clean until yiu don't get anymore green patches. Might take some time. Clean clean clean! Oh no I'm having flashsbacks of the company armorer.
I use Barnes CR-10, Butches Bore Shine and Hoppes No 9 on my barrel, just never seen the green on my muzzle before.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I've found two extra things to be handy when cleaning my SEI USCG muzzle brake. A pair of hemostats and pipe cleaners. Use the hemostats to hold cloth patches for cleaning the large ports on the side of the brake. The pipe cleaners are for the small holes on top of the brake. Use a pair of scissors to clip the ends off the pipe cleaners as they get dirty.

BTW, the hemostats with cloth patches are useful for getting into the nooks and crannies on the rest of the rifle. Just be careful of metal on park contact.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
copper at muzzle.

have it check out by a smith who knows m14/m1a. there is a possibility there's bullet impact on the muzzle brake. Just have he/her check and make sure your muzzle brake is align properly

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
have it check out by a smith who knows m14/m1a. there is a possibility there's bullet impact on the muzzle brake. Just have he/her check and make sure your muzzle brake is align properly
This is a SE USCG brake. It uses the same spline and castle nut system a SAI/USGI flash hider uses. It's all built and pinned at the factory by SE. Think it could be off? I am having accuracy consistency issues with this build.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Never happened on my SAI brake or FH. This is a SE USCG. Thanks
That might just be a testament to how well that brake redirects the gases... Interested to know is anyone had similar experiences.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Never happened on my SAI brake or FH. This is a SE USCG. Thanks
This is a SE USCG brake. It uses the same spline and castle nut system a SAI/USGI flash hider uses. It's all built and pinned at the factory by SE. Think it could be off? I am having accuracy consistency issues with this build.
Sounds like you replaced the SAI brake with the USCG brake, and if so, they were both likely on an SAI barrel. When you were installing the USCG brake, was it loose on the barrel until you tightened the castle nut? I've found that the USCG brake's splines tend to be loose in SAI barrel grooves. Unless the castle nut is cranked really tight, I think the brake will tend to shift position slightly when the expanding gas hits it, which can't be good for accuracy. Peening the barrel's grooves would fix that.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds like you replaced the SAI brake with the USCG brake, and if so, they were both likely on an SAI barrel. When you were installing the USCG brake, was it loose on the barrel until you tightened the castle nut? I've found that the USCG brake's splines tend to be loose in SAI barrel grooves. Unless the castle nut is cranked really tight, I think the brake will tend to shift position slightly when the expanding gas hits it, which can't be good for accuracy. Peening the barrel's grooves would fix that.
No it's really snug. As is the other SE adapter I have on my Scout.

·
Registered
64 Posts
That might just be a testament to how well that brake redirects the gases... Interested to know is anyone had similar experiences.
I noticed recently that my SE USCG muzzle brake has similar green deposits. And this is on an LRB that Ted Brown built for me.

If it were the bullet hitting the brake, I'd assume that you'd see more deposits on one side of the brake than the rest, but the deposits look like they're spread fairly evenly around all the ports.

A good question would be if this is something that all USCG brakes do, or if it's something that's been cropping up recently.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Green gas

I have been told that it's from some of the bullet getting shaved off as it exist the barrel then getting vaporized. That is what would leave green around your muzzle brake. This would also, but not definitely, explain some of the accuracy problems you maybe having. All but one of my rifles have Smith brakes on them (that's 8 rifles) and not one of them shows any signs of green gas around the muzzle brakes. The other brake is a Springfield brake and it also shows no sign of green gas. They only exhibit carbon build up. A simple Flashinder alignment gauge check will tell the tail though and it can't hurt to check

1 - 20 of 22 Posts