M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot my M1 and let it sit for about ~3 weeks before cleaning it.... upon doing so there was a slight blue coating inside the barrel. Thought it might be corrosion, so I broke the rifle down and the gas port was coated pretty heavy with it and so was the top of the piston on the operating rod.

Is this normal? Underneath the blue, there was black (like you would normally see from burnt powder)

Ammunition is the Greek HXP

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
while the ammo itself is non corrosive, the blue you see is corrosion. it is simply a reaction of the copper in your rifles barrel reacting with the moisture in the air, clean your rifle after shooting it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
while the ammo itself is non corrosive, the blue you see is corrosion. it is simply a reaction of the copper in your rifles barrel reacting with the moisture in the air, clean your rifle after shooting it.
thats weird, because none of my other firearms ever do that and ive let some sit a while before cleaning them. but then again, none of my other firearms use old military ammunition either

·
Registered
279 Posts
If it was corrosive all you'd see would be red... rust.. and lots of it... the blue/green is copper fowling reacting with the powder fowling and water in the air.. B2B

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good to know!

Is the blue "bad" like the red corrosion would be?

Ive had 2 spinal surgeries and sitting for hours (yes, I spend a long time cleaning my guns) really tears my back up.... so I like to put it off for as long as I can without it causing any damage to the firearms

·
Registered
93 Posts
The "blue" fouling residue is not a bad as "red" rust residue. It is, in my experience, normal in most U.S. Surplus firearms. I don't know what type of bore cleaner you are using but, you may want to try Butches Bore Shine or the Hoppe's foam bore cleaner.

Let these, or any other quality bore cleaner, "sit" in the bore and keep reappyling for several days. You may never have the "blue" residue go away for good but, this procedure should reduce it alot. Further, you may want to try some RemClean or J & B's Bore paste to remove heavy fouling.

The problem with fouling, like you describe, is really how the bore was cleaned (or not cleaned) during its service life.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
For a gas gun, I'd favor JB Paste over any of the liquid or vaporizing copper removers. Heck, I'd use toothpaste over most of them. They're highly ammoniated, which means they can damage the stainless steel gas system if the residue gets in there and sits.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
And I'd recommend checking your op rod, too. I've had that blue green color show up on mine if I fail to clean them sort of often. My feeling is that the ammunition might not be corrosive, but it's residue does interact with moisture in the air over a long period of time. As always, YMMV

1 - 10 of 10 Posts