M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
That's a nice one wdigeorge.
Hopefully your buddy will jump in and share details/thoughts on it.
Thanks for sharing.
BT

·
Registered
846 Posts
when you go to the CMP store they have a whole rack of 20 or so of the collector grades there. talk about a sweet looking rack of rifles. many look like they were hardly used at all.

but even with these check it carefully. according to the various book i had with me. one had an incorrect elevation pinion (non-hra). another had a wrong stock (way too late for early stock). yet another had a wrong cylinder lock screw(late WWII replacement part). one also had a wrong rear sight cover (late war SA). maybe these were transitional models i dont know. but there still were 16 - 20 nice ones there that looked all right. and yes i'm aware of the SA and LMR barrels and some SA oprods being used in HRA production.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics George!! What you all see there is my "new" Springfield Garand, 5.4 mil. with 11-54 barrel. The weapon looks to be unfired, no wear at all on the metal and only a few stock dings. I lucked out and got a good one!!!

The entire process took only 11 days from the time I dropped the order in the mail, so pretty quick. I've been so busy the last few days I haven't had a chance to field strip it or clean the grease any further.

I'm thrilled to death with it. The only thing I think is odd are the sight knobs. The elevation is marked NHC, and the windage DRC . I guess I would of thought the knobs would be SA. Any ideas?

·
Registered
15 Posts
If I'm not mistaken both of those marking are ok. I have simular knobs on my 5.4M SG SA. The stamps indicate the manufacturer. Don't have my reference book available right now so I can't tell you who they are. They are listed in the Post War Duff book. Springfield did make some sight knobs, post war, that were marked as Springfield but not many. They are, from what I hear, hard to find.

rifle guy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.