M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dance2i need any no B.S. opinions or info on this ammo. your experiences,thoughts. the drive behind this inquiry is that i had an M split with one round and have seen several rounds , HXP70, that were swelled in the head region. these rounds were fired in a favorite M1 that is 1965 rebuild from springfeild. i have owned this M1 for several years and have only fired it approximately 500 - 700 rds.. i have never seen this type problem with LC M2 ranging from '53 to '67 or with LC match. my spent cases gauge right at the top of a dillon cartridge gauge. the swelling is evident in the area of cases not supported by chamber and the problem cases will not fit in case gauge. thanks for any and all comments..

·
Registered
600 Posts
odd, i have had several bloe throughs with LC brass, but nothign with HXp, and i have about 3,000 round sdownrange with hxp.

But IMO i have never had swollen brass or bad HXP,i would suspect other first.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Where did you acquire this ammo

I have shot a bunch of HXP from 62-80 that came from CMP and never had a problem. HXP is a little dirtier than I like but never problems like you are having. Is 06 a misprint or did they make HXP in 06.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have run a great deal of both HXP and LC '06 in both rifles and machine guns and have thankfully never experienced an M split with any of it.

I think that this occurence is something that can happen with any surplus ammo. This is the first I've heard of with the HXP, though. Sorry it had to happen to youGI4

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have a can of HXP on Greek clips from the CMP. I have not fired it yet, however, I notice it is difficult to load due to deformed clips.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
greek .30-'06 HXP 70

thanks for your responses. i am not convinced that the ammo is bad overall but maybe a bad lot. unfortunately this ammo came from a bulk lot from CMP with mixed head stamps, so no lot info is available. i also am not overlooking a possible chamber diameter or headspace problem either. we use this ammo at my local garand matches and have not seen anyone else mentioning problems as of yet, i have segregated the '70 stuff out until i find a cause. again thanks.DI2

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well, an M split event is definitely due to defects in the head of the cartridge case. Now a case separation, on the other hand, can result from excessive headspace.

Sounds like a bad lot of ammo. You can always pull the bullets and salvage the powder and load into different brass....alot of work I know, but would help minimize the loss.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have a few crates of the HXP ammo .30'06 ammo. Its okay surplus ammo, not the greatest and not the worst.

I have had a few tight fitting HXP 68's in my Smith-Corona M1903A3 but I never had a round that wouldn't chamber to battery using my M1, M1917, or M1903A3. No duds either, they all went bang.

I have seen some HXP 70's that had corrosion on the case. This was the loose packed stuff that was selling around last year. Only surface tarnish and corrosion, nothing deep in the brass case.

BTW: I'm sure you all know this but if your shooting .30-06 surplus from the 1950's or from another country, make sure that the primers are not corrosive. If they are, you will need to clean your rifle after every shooting or risk getting a rusty pitted barrel. My old M1917 barrel looked like a old sewer pipe from corrosive ammo.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pull the powder

now that this has came up let me run this by you guys.when i first started using greek i found it chronographed just under 2900fps at 74 feet.i felt this was fairly hot. this was lot 2049-HXP-77 at 54.0 to 54.2 grs. i backed this off 1.8 grs and used them with good results. now with that all in mind i pulled and weighed the suspect lot expecting to find a larger charge what i found was 50.4 avg.. in regards to load density it looks low. this result made me feel as though it may be dangerously low,causing the split or seperation.the split resembles a seperation but closer to the head and only 1/3 around case then runs 90 degrees from the center of that split all the way to the shoulder of the case. see if any ideas come up after mulling this over. i have pulled other lots and they are all around 53-54.5 grs. of what looks like H380 ball powder.dance2dance2

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
I've had zero problems with HXP. I haven't shot a billion rounds of it, but what I have has gone bang and seems reasonably accurate.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I believe all the HXP 30-06 was designed for the M1 rifle and is loaded a bit hotter in general than the LC stuff.. I've never had a problem shooting HXP ammo..the 303 brit is the best I've found.. and the 50BMG is also top shelf...you more than likely, just had a defective cartridge case, which happens sometimes.. B2B

·
Registered
79 Posts
Brass a little soft, head does swell a little

I've shot a lot of HXP, various years, in Garands, Springfields and a US Enfield. My biggest gripe is the extraction is hard in the bolt actions.

When sizing the cases to reload them, HXP was the first .30-'06 brass I've ever encountered that needed a Small Base sizer to pass a Case Gauge test. The brass had been fired the first time in Garands with good chambers.

CDD

1 - 13 of 13 Posts