M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Camp Perry for the 2nd time this year for CMP week. If you like to shoot then this the place to do it. I speak to a lot of guys and they say they may go one year when their shooting improves. But that's really not necessary. The first year I went I was a sharpshooter and had a great time. This year I was fortunate enough to come in 8th place of the non-distinguised during the leg match. I wasn't even keeping score in my head. I was just concentrating on one shot at a time.

What you learn at Camp Perry will improve your shooting. No question! Plus you'll be surrounded by about a 1,000 other guys that share your passion for shooting the service rifle.

Couple of nonshooting suggestions for the first timer:

Be ready before they call you to the line because you won't have a lot of time once you're up there. If you're up next and you're standing on the ready line:
have your jacket already on.
Mags loaded
correct zeros
Sling adjusted
etc.

Get off the line ASAP. As soon as your last round is fired don't wait for the score to come up. Especially true after rapids! Just start collecting all your gear. Remember there's someone else waiting to come up and take your position. Collect your gear and get off the line.

Know how to score! ie after rapids don't put the spotters in until you've counted 10 holes, and don't be afraid to call for the pit boss to help if you're unsure of anything. After all this is the National Championships and being competent helps the guy trying his hardest on the firing line.

As for Commercial Row. All I can say is bring money. A lot of money. You'll find a lot of good deals and you can set yourself up with enough components to last the next season.

I'm sure some of the other guys will chime in with tips too. But be prepared if you go once you WILL come back. It's the best vacation a guy could have!

Hope to see you all there
Alsation

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Charles, good to hear from you--haven't seen you at Coalinga in recent years. There are so many good stories out there about Camp Perry, I know I will have to go some day. Thanks for sharing your experience and advice! Did you shoot that other rifle?

Tim

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I love going and making it a point to do the very best I can. Obviously, my best isn't good enough to put me in the winner circle but I can say that it has improved me every year. You get to shoot under the real stress of the National Matches and get to share the line, and pits, with the champions. Most everyone there is gracious, friendly, and willing to lend a hand or share advice. If you are serious about shooting service rifles, Camp Perry is an experience you don't want to miss.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You had to ask!

Thanks Tim,

Yeah, I broke down and used the "other" rifle this year:)

You still see 14's on the line and they sure do get a lot of encouragement. I think most people miss seeing them in the larger number of earlier times.

Charles
aka alsation

·
"Death From Above"
11,432 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience with us! I hope to get into a few local matches this year. In addition, I have already put in for my vacation for next august. I'm going to try and talk the wife into making the trip out there to Perry and right after that go see my in laws in Poland. If it goes off as planned I hope to bring my 14 and one of those "other rifles" with me.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience with us! I hope to get into a few local matches this year. In addition, I have already put in for my vacation for next august. I'm going to try and talk the wife into making the trip out there to Perry and right after that go see my in laws in Poland. If it goes off as planned I hope to bring my 14 and one of those "other rifles" with me.
The Port Clinton area is like Florida "of the north", meaning its a big vacation spot during the summer. She should have a good time. Try and book a hotel early. Its crowded, even without the "gun olympics" going on, and CMP week is usually more crowded than NRA week...

You know what the most amazing thing about it is? Here's a whole segment of American society, walking around, driving around, going in and out of hotel's, with military (and other) type weapons and no one blinks an eye. Its like society "perfected"....

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
That is how I grew up...

in Port Clinton. The army was a regular presence from Camp Perry. My dad used to take me out to "shop" commercial row every year. When I got old enough, I started out with the BB matches then moved up as I got older. The people and the sights you never forget. Seeing some of the companies that show up with the highest quality merchandise, year after year was always the hight point of my summer.

Going back in the 70s on my own, then later with the Navy teams in the 80s, made it even more memorable. Even if you don't shoot, volunteer. I did that a few years and got to watch one of the world champion shooters entertain us with a what a .22 would do to a seagull. Of course, it was an accident. That gull had to have been close to 200 yards out. Oh well...

Plan ahead, start a year out! I'm lucky, I still have relatives I can stay with nearby. Ask questions, check on rates, if you fly in Cleveland is better than Toledo (for me, it fogs in too frequently). Learn the airline rules for ammo and firearms transport; weight limits can get you too. Learn your squadding and when to be on the line ready to advance to your position, or when you are in the pits vs shooting. You can even earn money as a pit puller if you can't shoot.

Learn...learn...learn and never be afraid to ask questions.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I am looking forward to my first pilgrimage to Perry this summer. I will be driving out with one or two guys and attempt to save on some gas/tolls. I'll probably shack up in the huts. I am planning to bring my Garand, M1a and AR for the varied matches there.

·
Registered
317 Posts
It is an experience you will never forget, and the friends you will make will be friends for life.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts