M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how is the start up of America gonna play out ? We in for 2 years of scratching a living and limited food selections at the stores ?
We know Globalization has failed , we have to have critical items made here or a change to a huge warehousing of items.
Or is this gonna start up with a few hiccups but by and large in 6-8 months we are back to pretty much life as normal

What are your thoughts ?

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
No idea. I believe it could go hard in different directions, but it doesn't have to go any which way in particular. If we ease back into normal, with measured caution and avoid panic, could be, fine. If done with some intelligence, it probably will be fine. If the public, politicians, and business, go into a spiral reacting to each other's hysteria, we could be in some serious trouble.

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
^^^ this! ^^^

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
I think "normal" will have a different meaning; "new". With all this talk about testing, for this, that and the other thing, months off for a vaccine if not longer.
I don't think back to normal will ever be again country wide, and it will likely take some time to sort it out where its anything like "normal".

Then they warn us of waves of the virus, perhaps being yearly like influenza. If it does, watch for a lot of folks who distained the idea of getting a yearly flu shot, stand in line for hours to get a shot against Covid!
In places like Montana, Wyoming, NO Dak etc, yeah, life THERE could return to fairly normal in a short time, within those borders. Step out and things will be different.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I think "normal" will have a different meaning; "new". With all this talk about testing, for this, that and the other thing, months off for a vaccine if not longer.
I don't think back to normal will ever be again country wide, and it will likely take some time to sort it out where its anything like "normal".

Then they warn us of waves of the virus, perhaps being yearly like influenza. If it does, watch for a lot of folks who distained the idea of getting a yearly flu shot, stand in line for hours to get a shot against Covid!
In places like Montana, Wyoming, NO Dak etc, yeah, life THERE could return to fairly normal in a short time, within those borders. Step out and things will be different.
Agreed. This is why I don't live in a commie city state.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No idea. I believe it could go hard in different directions, but it doesn't have to go any which way in particular. If we ease back into normal, with measured caution and avoid panic, could be, fine. If done with some intelligence, it probably will be fine. If the public, politicians, and business, go into a spiral reacting to each other's hysteria, we could be in some serious trouble.
I am curious as to whether we have enough industrial goods to continue to produce products. Companies may open but without the proper widget a product cannot be made. Tooling up takes time - which is actually the best thing that could happen to us. Things may cost more but there will be new jobs.

·
Forum Jester
6,986 Posts
non of us in this forum will ever be considered normal

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Believe the difference will be in the duration.

The longer the economy is down (except me, I'm still working) the longer it will take to reopen.

Another reason economy may recover quickly, there are thousands of established companies wanting workers.

There weren't a whole lot of companies 1929-1933.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I am curious as to whether we have enough industrial goods to continue to produce products. Companies may open but without the proper widget a product cannot be made. Tooling up takes time - which is actually the best thing that could happen to us. Things may cost more but there will be new jobs.
Does anyone see the conflict with the obvious need to have domestic manufacturing of critical supplies and the free flow of capital and resources i.e. capitalism?

The only way certain manufacturing returns to the US is if unrestricted capitalism is stopped and the government steps in. This may require some kind of a state controlled economic system, rather than free enterprise. Something like China now or pre-WWII Germany. These systems do not come without some serious side-effects as they always require restrictions on freedom of enterprise and subsequently, individual freedom.

The other problem is that it is hard to predict what the next critical product or gadget needed in an unforeseen emergency is. This means just about everything would need to be made locally and warehoused in large quantities.

A possible alternative could be that the government stockpiles huge quantities of supplies, medicines deemed critical way above and beyond what has been done to date.

No private business in the free enterprise system wants to carry any inventory. Everything is just-in-time manufacturing and delivery. Inventory is cash sitting on a shelf. Costs money.

This is a lot for our elected officials to figure out.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does anyone see the conflict with the obvious need to have domestic manufacturing of critical supplies and the free flow of capital and resources i.e. capitalism?

The only way certain manufacturing returns to the US is if unrestricted capitalism is stopped and the government steps in. This may require some kind of a state controlled economic system, rather than free enterprise. Something like China now or pre-WWII Germany. These systems do not come without some serious side-effects as they always require restrictions on freedom of enterprise and subsequently, individual freedom.

The other problem is that it is hard to predict what the next critical product or gadget needed in an unforeseen emergency is. This means just about everything would need to be made locally and warehoused in large quantities.

A possible alternative could be that the government stockpiles huge quantities of supplies, medicines deemed critical way above and beyond what has been done to date.

No private business in the free enterprise system wants to carry any inventory. Everything is just-in-time manufacturing and delivery. Inventory is cash sitting on a shelf. Costs money.

This is a lot for our elected officials to figure out.
Thank you
Inventory do we have it , can we even get it again, or do we have to wait for us to make it ?
Certainly the medication and antibiotic issues will be transferred to at least this hemisphere. I am just wondering how long can we do business with what we have. Europe is finding out anything coming out of China is just about non functioning.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
The whirled crass economy would not be possible without big.gov and crony crapitalism.
What it's devolved into is about as far from free enterprise as it gets.
Following the pandemic, I foresee an epidemic of broken arms, from gubmint offals patting themselves on the back over what a wonderful job they did.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Yes, I think so too. Getting back up to speed may take a bit longer than going back to business as usual, but it could work out far better for us. This whole thing could serve as a wake up call for a lot of issues, and possibly even provide benefits we never considered, or at least, many of us have not.GI1

1 - 20 of 67 Posts