M14 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I had a great time at the range today. It was one of those days that everything just seemed to work the way it should. My intentions were to confirm battle sight zero on my (wood and steel) M1A standard, re-check my scope zero on my Socom after I have made some barrel tension adjustments; and off course, let the wife burn up some rounds with my m-4 (she doesn't like either of my M1As). I also had a load I wanted to test out in both rifles. So here is the report:

Rifles:
M1a standard in wood, iron sights
M1A Socom, in a Blackfeather with a Leatherwood 2-7 Scout scope

Ammo:
Hand Loads
Sierra 150 Grain Spitzer BT
43 gr H335
WLR primer
LC 11 or 12 brass
2.165 OAL (@ogive) or 2.715 COAL

Conditions: (Frigging perfect)
10:00am
71 degrees
9% humidity
Wind 1-2 mph s/sw
Sunny

First was the standard. I don't remember why, but I didn't have a lot of confidence in my zero, so I wanted to check and make sure it was shooting as desired.

Here is my first [email protected] yds. The group to the upper left was where I started. I adjusted windage and paid close attention to my point of aim ended up with that center group:

Fairly happy with that adjustment, I moved out to two hundred yards. The first few rounds seemed to be all over the place until I realized that I was trying to shoot a black target with a black forward sight---Duh. I put a little piece of tape on the forward sight and shot that 3 shot center group below.---Mission accomplishedUSNA Gotta love those sights.

After less than satisfying results on my last range trip, I came home and made some adjustments on the barrel tension (there is an adjustment on the blackfeather for this) and below are the results of those adjustments--Remember, this is a Socom: Below are two groups I shot at 100yds after a quick scope adjustment.

Not bad for an old fat blind guy--- I can't wait to see what this thing can do with some really good ammo. The loads I was using were intended to be general purpose loads I could quickly mass produce---and I am satisfied with the results from both rifles.

Next I will try and develop a precision load specifically for my Socom.

Until next time, Happy shooting

Bob

·
Super Moderator
3,396 Posts
Looking good...... very nice - most important you enjoyed the day with the wife too!! Your right "great day at the range"

·
Administrator
17,390 Posts
Good range report rwilli. It's great when all the planets come together to give you the best conditions to start with.

DI5

Reactions: rwilli

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good range report rwilli. It's great when all the planets come together to give you the best conditions to start with.

Di5
yes it is USNA

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
You had a Great day!

Reactions: rwilli

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Good deal man! I really believe those of us who have a spouse whom is also interested in shooting are really fortunate, my wife is always as excited as me whenever we pack up and go to the range and our conversations to and from the range are most always about the days shooting ... fun, fun, fun!

Now if I could just get her as interested in cleaning the guns after a day at the range!

But...

I won't push it!

Congrats to you and the ill' missus for the great shooting and the good times brother!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now if I could just get her as interested in cleaning the guns after a day at the range!

But...

I won't push it!
Ummm Huh--- I know what you mean, Brother USN2

1 - 7 of 7 Posts