M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Acquired 4 USGI, 20 rd. magazines in the wrap, covered with what appear to be cosmoline (MIL-C-11796C).
Suggestions as to how best to remove this stuff?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Disassemble and drop 'em in a pot of boiling water, remove when clean, wipe off any remaining cosmoline, and lightly oil, reassemble.

·
Registered
467 Posts
And don't use her good spaghetti pot, either... DIEVIL

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
Can We Get A 'STICKY' Going On This !?

VERY IMPORTANT for the Married Men Here !!!

GITEN GITEN GITEN GITEN GITEN

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Brake cleaner from your local auto parts store will remove just about any grease from metal parts. Or carb and choke cleaner.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I have a can of parts cleaner, it comes in a 1 gallon pail and has a perforated parts tray in it. From the auto part store...

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I use odorless mineral spirits for all my cosmoline removal. Works great!

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Turkey fryer , metal is hot when it comes out so what immediatly evaporates

I did this with a cosmo soaked 1903, came out spotless

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I would like to see the markings on the magazines and on the wrapper. Cosmoline was out of use by mid 1950's except at Pueblo Ordnance Depot, which continued to pack stuff with cosmoline until change of activity in 1969.

If the magazines are real US GI, they either came in from overseas, or some unit (or dealer) used grease against the standards for storage.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would like to see the markings on the magazines and on the wrapper. Cosmoline was out of use by mid 1950's except at Pueblo Ordnance Depot, which continued to pack stuff with cosmoline until change of activity in 1969.

If the magazines are real US GI, they either came in from overseas, or some unit (or dealer) used grease against the standards for storage.
I take a pic and post. Maybe it's just grease?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Greetings,

Year or so ago I had to clean up about two dozen M1 carbine mags that were almost blocked solid with cosmo (CMP). Soaked them for an hour or so in Kerosene, scrubbed, repeated. Then used Simple Green for the final clean off. They all came out pretty nice. Did this outside in front of the shop due to not liking the smell of the kero.

Regards, Jim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts