M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember reading in the green book that the grease used way back when-- was some version of lubriplate. I see that there are 2 or 3 dozen types of lubriplate. I have several cans of 630-a and 630-aa lubriplate. All of it looks similar to look at it----

are most of the lubriplates ok ? What I have is aircraft grease I believe....

Tim

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
For use in decent weather, and with regular cleaning and re-lube, pretty much any grease will be OK.

And in abusive conditions, even the 'best grease' will likely only be slightly better.

Jay

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
The Lubriplate that was used was 130. However, that really isn't the best type of grease available today. A synthetic or semi-synthetic grease is better since its viscosity vs temperature curve is less steep. This means it works better at both high and low temps. I use Militech 1 grease.

·
Registered
10,742 Posts
As stated above, Lubriplate 130 is what came in the little grease pots for the M1 and M14 rifles. It was used in all conditions except Arctic (the M14 is designed to run dry in extreme cold).

That being said, the M14 requires so little grease that just about anything can be used. It is only needed on the contact areas of the hammer and bolt, as well as the outside of the bolt roller.

Everything else gets lubricated with CLP and a toothbrush.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Back in the day, it was LSA.
That's what we used on ours (1976 - 1979).

These days, I use marine grade bearing grease. I figure it's more water resistant than most greases. Ain't been out deer hunting in a rain storm in years, but anything can happen.

Reactions: 32639

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
I remember reading in the green book that the grease used way back when-- was some version of lubriplate. I see that there are 2 or 3 dozen types of lubriplate. I have several cans of 630-a and 630-aa lubriplate. All of it looks similar to look at it----

are most of the lubriplates ok ? What I have is aircraft grease I believe....

Tim
I've used Lubriplate 630-A on my M1A rifles, no issues with it at all.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I still have a bottle of that snot somewhere. It's probably next to the beige and maroon Burma-Shave brush that we all used to keep the dirt off the rifle. RNGR1
Then you might like this one Kurt.

Attachments

·
Registered
401 Posts
The stuff I use on M14 type rifles and M1 Garands:

GREASE, RIFLE
MIL-G-46003 (ORD) AMEND. 2
9150-754-0063
INTERNATIONAL LUBE, CORP.
NOV/1963 BATCH 2
DSA-6-4361 QUAL. M-8203
1 LB. NET

Several cans should last longer than I'll need them.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I'm using the same Aircraft Lubriplate on the M21 and many other firearms and it works great.

Several tubes, it's excellent grease and I see no reason to buy more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts