M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got some of the coolest news ever today. I stopped by to see my Lt. at our operations office today to get some ammo for an upcoming CQB class I am taking. While I was talking with him, he opened the vault door where we keep our ammo and I noticed the flash hider of a few M1A's in the corner of the room. They were blocked by some other rifles (AR's, Shotguns, etc.) so I asked my Lt., "Hey are those M1A's over there?" He looked over and said "No, those are M14's" with a sh*t eating grin on his face. of course you can imagine where the conversation went and long story short, I found out our agency owns 4 of them and they are all different manufacturers. The one I got to play with was an H&R with TRW parts..probably a rebuild. but never the less, four fully functional, beautiful conditioned, fully auto M14s. Today was one of the best days ever....but it gets even better.

My Lt. knows that I have an infatuation with M1A's and M14's as he is also an owner of a Socom II. I guess since they were hidden in the corner, he never thought to tell me about them. When I asked, he said that our agency bought them under some federal contract and that they were for agency use....then he looked at me and said "So, you want to shoot these babies on the next agency range day?" - DUH LT! Of course I do...

So here in the next month or so I will get to take these pretty babies out for some training. I cant freakin' wait! Here are two quick pictures I snapped before he kicked me out of his office...I tried to hide this one under my shirt, but he totally caught on to me before exited the office...damn it!

As you can see by the bottom photo, the stock looks new production...well it is. He explained to me that the stock that came with them were in very poor condition and he had to scrap them completely. He is not completely on the M14 scene like we are, so he did not know where to get USGI stocks with the cut out. So he bought several walnut SAI stocks and modified it to fit the full auto receiver. It hurts, I know....so I told him that i would find him a few USGI stock to get these thing right! Just wanted to share my exciting experience with my M14 family. Cool huh!?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
That's cool man! Looks like the one you took a picture of has a selector block in place though.. Either way, that's pretty neat!

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Yeah, pretty sweet! My agency has 30+ M14's. Our Tac 30 guys had five of them put in Troy MCS stocks. I've gotten to fondle them a few times but haven't got any rock'n'roll trigger time yet. There are also a few dozen M1 Garands in the armory.......... I know that when I was out a few months ago and they were doing inventory the rangegods couldn't find a s/n on one of the M1's and I suggested that they look on the side of the rx.................and low and behold there was the s/n...........on a CAI rx. I don't think that one came from the Feds!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
One of my local PD's have some 14's with the locks on them. I happen to know the range master pretty well so I brought him some FA parts. There is a understanding that I can have some range time with them if I want to. :)

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Pretty neat. I have to wonder, how often were M14s actually used FA? Besides practice of course.

I'd like to at least once, to see how it would handle on FA.
I shot a FA G3 several years ago and it was a real handfull..................A '14 would probably be similar, but I'd still like to find out in person USN5

·
Registered
9,910 Posts
holy cow! FOUR real m14s in a closet at work & you didn't know about them? you should be able to SMELL a real m14 that close! lucky dog! and i bet the dept is gonna buy your ammo! can't wait for the range report! have fun!
andy
p.s.-wipe that smile offa your face!

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have never held a real M14 so I didn't realize it was a block, but my Lt. said something about easy to fix or change. So because I am so dumb founded on the subject, please tell me what I need to do to get all of the rifles changed over to the fun switch. My Lt. knew a little more than I did but not much. What parts do we need and how easy to install? He would definately be okay with it, because it HAS to be full auto before I take it to the range!!

-Sapp

·
Registered
2,732 Posts

The old green eyed monster of envy GI6 you lucky dog LOL

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have never held a real M14 so I didn't realize it was a block, but my Lt. said something about easy to fix or change. So because I am so dumb founded on the subject, please tell me what I need to do to get all of the rifles changed over to the fun switch. My Lt. knew a little more than I did but not much. What parts do we need and how easy to install? He would definately be okay with it, because it HAS to be full auto before I take it to the range!!

-Sapp
SARCO sells the full auto switch parts for cheap. RA parts and others probably do as well. It's an easy swap, when you field strip it you can see. Check the manual and it will show as well.

Oh, and shoot from the prone, don't try it off hand or you really risk sending rounds over the berm.

They aren't like shooting a SAW or 240G.

Cheers!

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
It's not difficult to install a selector switch, I did it a few times when I was with The Old Guard. I imagine getting parts would be tricky though.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
It's pretty easy. There's a roll pin that holds the selector block to the selector shaft, you drive that puppy out, remove the selector block, then install the spring, press the selector switch over the spring until the roll pin hole lines up, and replace the roll pin. You're done..

Parts are pretty easy to come by out this way, I might have a spare selector and spring from a dummy kit. I'll take a look.

Reactions: jmoore and steve

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
Yeah, pretty sweet! My agency has 30+ M14's. Our Tac 30 guys had five of them put in Troy MCS stocks. I've gotten to fondle them a few times but haven't got any rock'n'roll trigger time yet. There are also a few dozen M1 Garands in the armory.......... I know that when I was out a few months ago and they were doing inventory the rangegods couldn't find a s/n on one of the M1's and I suggested that they look on the side of the rx.................and low and behold there was the s/n...........on a CAI rx. I don't think that one came from the Feds!!
Grin. Yup, that was one donated by someone voluntarily or "involuntarily" through a confiscation. However, the problem with them is many don't work very well or at all. So PLEASE suggest someone actually fire that rifle to determine it actually works before an Officer bets his/her life on it.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Grin. Yup, that was one donated by someone voluntarily or "involuntarily" through a confiscation. However, the problem with them is many don't work very well or at all. So PLEASE suggest someone actually fire that rifle to determine it actually works before an Officer bets his/her life on it.
No doubt. I bought one from Big 5, before I knew better. Oprod was always jumping the track on that stupid thing.

Bought a USGI Springfield receiver for it, had a friend do the receiver swap, and haven't had an issue since.

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
Pretty neat. I have to wonder, how often were M14s actually used FA? Besides practice of course.

I'd like to at least once, to see how it would handle on FA.
At least in the Marine Corps (and most likely in the Army as well) the rifles were issued without the FA switches on them and the switches were added by local Armorers at the direction of Platoon Commanders. In the Corps and in combat, each squad had had three automatic riflemen (one in each fire team) who would have had an operative FA M14.

Having said that, when 1st Marine Division turned in all their M14's in 1972 to be replaced by the M16A1, I don't recall more than a very few rifles that had the full auto kit installed and that was out of around 4,500 M14's.

I got to shoot one FA a few times. It was not uncontrollable as long as you stayed with 3 or 4 round bursts. Having also fired M16A1's and A2's in FA or burst, as far as staying on target, they are not really any more controllable than FA M14's.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Nice would love to see those things in action but with the selector lock on it like the one in the picture it wont go full auto. You need to find a selector so you can unleash those monsters.
Good Shooting.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.