M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I got this in 2008, I was in the phone with him and he asked "what markings do you want on the sling?"....I said "Just sign it please"...And there you have it. He also embossed the year and my initials. Great guy, best product in the biz. Rarely do you find down to earth craftsmen that make simply elegant products out of simple quality materials.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I have one. For my Match Rifle.

the sling is marked with the "Globe and Anchor", USMC, ATR, 1994.

. . . . for Allen T. Rung, my beloved father in law who passed in 1994. a WWII Pacific veteran of the battle for Okinawa. A rifleman with the 6th Marine Division, 29th Regiment . . Sugar Hill and the Shuri Heights . . . one hell of a $hit$torm . .

He started out in '43 in MAG 33 as a rear gunner, then in VMSB-932 as the same. Got tapped for the invasion of Japan into the 6th Marine division in Feb 1945.

He NEVER talked about it . . but was troubled all his days . .

May God give his soul rest and comfort for his sacrifice.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm with you Locutus! So may it be.

I'm glad to hear Les is still crafting slings. The sad fact is that individual craftsmen are not around forever. I have a couple of Bob Headly's pocket holsters, and when I got my LCP I quick and called him in Winter Haven, FL. His daughter informed me that Bob had set down his working tools, and passed away.

Point being, when you find a craftsman like this and wish you had their work, you'd better buy it. At the very minimum, they may retire or cease business.

Les Tam, a simple home craftsman with a distinguished military career and signifigant match shooting accomplishments, in Honolulu, HI creating functional art for the M14 from strips of leather. I dig stuff like that.

Les' website: http://www.lestam.com

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I have one also,,I have had it for a few years now,,its on my Fulton NM,,Awesome sling !!! I also have a New one on Order,,should have it around Feb.,,,Hmmmm,seems like a good Birthday Present,,,to "Myself",GI1,,FRG1FRG1FRG1FRG1

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
My Super Match M1A proudly wears a Les Tam sling. Truly a great product made by a craftsman and a gentleman.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
I have the fortune to have met Les and he is as nice in person as he is on the phone!

Over the years, I have acquired quite a few of his slings... and the advice of getting one while he is still making them is really sage advice...

The top notch quality of his slings are so consistent in each of his slings!!! GREAT product.

Aloha and Happy Holidays,

Tom O.

·
Registered
135 Posts
WOW!! Thanks for posting this up. I had no idea. I would like to get one of these to put on my new match rifle. This will be a great addition to it.

·
"Death From Above"
11,432 Posts
Leslie E.M. Tam
1411 St. Louis Drive
Honolulu, HI 96816
808-737-5427
Email [email protected]
Guess he has not paid the bill for the website. You will be surprised when you get your sling. It is the best quality sling I have ever seen. They are well worth the few months wait. Like I said in an earlier post I have waited on four of them so far and have another one on order should only be a couple of more months. As a matter of fact I have to send him the funds after the new year. Thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
I had the pleasure of being invited to Les Tam's house the other night! Chatting with him was not only interesting but informational. I think I learned a whole lot in such a short time... GREAT person to chat with and what a nice guy! As you already might have guessed it... I got another Les Tam sling coming my way!!! GI6

I just contacted Les and he said he is indeed accepting orders. He may not have known his web site was down, but I informed him of it. He did say that his web site had all that is needed to get started in ordering a sling, but since its down, I would simply call or email him. GI6

Folks, this is on "STAND UP" guy! I am glad to know him.

Aloha and Happy Holidays,

Tom O.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thread title: Got Tam?
Subject: Les Tam NM Rifle Slings
Action Required: Get Tam
Follow up: Spread the word while you wait

Look at the quality of full grain leather. Breaking them in is like a new pair of Redwings. You cuss 'em the first day, and swear by 'em the second.

A toast to honest old school craftsmanship! Refreshing to say the least. TomO, give regards and respects from Todd in Texas please.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts