M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any Recruiters on the Forum? This will be my first assignment in recruiting and my first assignment "off the grid" and away from an AF base.

What's the range situation like in the Mechanicsburg, PA? I need to find a place to take out the M1A when I get there.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Congrats. Never in the recruiting biz, but several tours not assigned to an AFB. Always had an Army or Navy facility within an hour if I needed it -- all of my kids were born in Army hospitals. You're probably near Carlisle Barracks --I remember the sign every time I travel the PA turnpike, but have no idea of their facilities.

·
Registered
325 Posts

1890 State Rt 4026
Dillsburg, PA 17019

This place looks to be less than an hour away. PA DNR ranges require a range permit (available online) or a hunting license.
They're usually fairly well maintained and most have 100 yard lanes and some have 300 yard lanes. I personally have not been to this range but I can tell you the ones I have been to can be, depending on the day, be less than safe. By this I mean there are a lot of new gun owners and people who have no concept of safe firearms handling on shooting ranges. Never go to a PA DNR range alone, always have a spotter when you're down range to keep other shooters away from their weapons during cease fire breaks. Last weekend I had a guy "check his scope" while I was down range, pointing his rifle in my direction. Luckily my daughter was with me and proceeded to loudly give him hell for doing this. He left shortly after. Be careful on public ranges in PA.

Congrats on your new assignment! Welcome to the Keystone State, vote early and vote often!

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
and that is the TRUTH !!! Had people rolling apples out and trying to hit them with a 1911;; the ground is crushed stone bullets and stone flying everywhere. Target backer is a piece of rubber full of holes, 2x4 wood is always shot up. maintenance is done once a year.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Heard too many bad stories about public PA ranges. Will never go to one.
Yeah, you really have to watch your a$$ at the public ranges. Even some of the clubs we belong to can can get pretty sporty with the macho kids and their girl friends waving guns around. We usually stick to ranges with cameras and RSOs on duty. But those places don't always have 300+ yard lanes. NRA subsidized clubs are usually fairly well managed, but not always.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yeah, you really have to watch your a$$ at the public ranges. Even some of the clubs we belong to can can get pretty sporty with the macho kids and their girl friends waving guns around. We usually stick to ranges with cameras and RSOs on duty. But those places don't always have 300+ yard lanes. NRA subsidized clubs are usually fairly well managed, but not always.
My club doesn't always have RSOs on duty but I shoot on weekdays and generally run into the same shooters often.

If I recognize the shooters around me and I'm accustomed to them being safe, I lower my guard a bit, but am still vigilant. Any shooter I've never seen before, I watch them like a hawk without being obvious and any hinky stuff, I pack up and leave.

The only time I had a problem was when I was hit with a ricochet from the pistol range. New shooter discharged into the dirt, hit a rock, flew up over the been, and smacked me in the stomach. No penetration but left a good welt. I was on the action range behind the pistol range berm. Managed to clear the all the trees and branches and come down on me. The berm itself is 40-50ft high and covered with trees. How it managed to miss all that and get me, no idea. I don't shoot on the action range any longer.

·
"Death From Above"
11,887 Posts
I just moved to Harrisburg last October, hit me up when you arrive. I am going to look at a club in Shippenburg. It is called the Shippenburg fish and game club. Not far from me and even closer to Mechanicsburg. I am also going to check out another club called Mifflin county Sportsman. One of them has targets out to 1000 yards I am pretty sure it is Mifflinburg. They hold F class matches there. It is next to nothing to join for the year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.