M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my LRB receiver a week after ordering it. I was under the impression I would have to wait months to get it so I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly it shipped. DI2

I don't know if they have them sitting on the shelf waiting to ship or if someone cancelled their order but I got mine fast and I am happy. GI1

Now I have something to put my CMP TRW parts kit on. GI2

I photoshopped the last two digits out but it is a four-digit sn. I set it in a CMP stock to check fit. Very snug and flush. The finish is beautiful. Can't wait to shoot the finished product. GI1

·
Registered
81 Posts
Get ya some dial calipers and take a look at some of the key dimensions (barrel ring, safety bridge, sight pocket, etc) before you do anything with it... Not doing that bit (and possibly continues to bite) me in the ass, and I'd bet money yours came from the same batch as mine.
Robfmj,

Did you have some problems with your receiver arriving out of spec? Can you please let us know if there are some issues we should be looking out for. I received my LRB receiver yesterday. Took one week from ordering to delivery. Thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Get ya some dial calipers and take a look at some of the key dimensions (barrel ring, safety bridge, sight pocket, etc) before you do anything with it... Not doing that bit (and possibly continues to bite) me in the ass, and I'd bet money yours came from the same batch as mine.
I am taking it to Jim Kelly at Darlington Gun works next week to have it barreled and headspaced.

What kind of problems are you having with yours?

NM, I clicked on your link and read your post. Beautiful rifle you have there!

·
Premium Member
20,414 Posts
panzersergeant, Don't worry about your receiver. I have built 5 in the last year and all were perfect. You are going to have a fine rifle. One of mine was put together with a TRW kit and a Criterion Sako copy NM barrel. What a beautiful job they do at LRB. I have a couple of more from the group buy coming soon. Enjoy your toys.

Semper Fi
USMC 66-72 RVN 67-68

·
Registered
60 Posts
Robfmj,

Did you have some problems with your receiver arriving out of spec? Can you please let us know if there are some issues we should be looking out for. I received my LRB receiver yesterday. Took one week from ordering to delivery. Thanks.
Rip described it best in the post I linked to, and I should probably defer to him for the proper values and receiver anatomy, but here's my go at telling it:

The biggest issue was the receiver bridge the barrel threads into. My receiver arrived seven thousandths short of the smallest permissible width of that band, and as a result, every barrel we tried could be overtimed by hand, before we even put appreciable torque on it. Ripsaw and Geeck fixed that by adding some crush on the shoulder of the barrel, but that short dimension takes everything else with it seven thousandths, causing the barrel to protrude farther back into the receiver, the bolt to impact the barrel, and limiting what you can do with the headspace. There's also a chance that the rear sight pocket is out of spec as well, but the jury is out until I get a chance to swap the current sight out with another (kudos to 2treeline for helping me out).

I'm never taking possession of another receiver without first making a checklist of critical dimensions and taking a good pair of calipers with me to my FFL.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am taking it to Jim Kelly at Darlington Gun works next week to have it barreled and headspaced.

What kind of problems are you having with yours?

NM, I clicked on your link and read your post. Beautiful rifle you have there!
Thanks, I'm loving the rifle! Looks great, shoots great GI1

I hope I'm not discouraging you, I'm just trying to give you a heads up since I went after an LRB for their outstanding reputation and got the same treatment (receiver in hand within a week of paying, same SN range). The issues I had were not unworkable, and the result is one fine rifle... That said, knowing what I do now, if I was sent another receiver just like it, I'd send it right back to LRB and ask for my money or an in-spec receiver.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, I'm loving the rifle! Looks great, shoots great GI1

I hope I'm not discouraging you, I'm just trying to give you a heads up since I went after an LRB for their outstanding reputation and got the same treatment (receiver in hand within a week of paying, same SN range). The issues I had were not unworkable, and the result is one fine rifle... That said, knowing what I do now, if I was sent another receiver just like it, I'd send it right back to LRB and ask for my money or an in-spec receiver.
After reading your post I got my LRB receiver out and test fitted the barrel. The barrel I am using is a barely used 1963 TRW. It threaded in nicely by hand with very little resistance. It bottomed out about a quarter of a turn from TDC/index so I think at least that much will come out okay.

I also test fitted the bolt, also a barely used TRW part. It was rather difficult to wiggle in and was tight going into battery but otherwise slid along the grooves unencumbered.

I would have made the drive to Darlington today (about an hour's drive) but I just came off a two week stretch of work and I'm a little frazzled right now. GI3

Thanks for all the helpful comments. I will come back here and post up some pics of the finished rifle when I get it done. GI1

·
Registered
60 Posts
After reading your post I got my LRB receiver out and test fitted the barrel. The barrel I am using is a barely used 1963 TRW. It threaded in nicely by hand with very little resistance. It bottomed out about a quarter of a turn from TDC/index so I think at least that much will come out okay.

I also test fitted the bolt, also a barely used TRW part. It was rather difficult to wiggle in and was tight going into battery but otherwise slid along the grooves unencumbered.

I would have made the drive to Darlington today (about an hour's drive) but I just came off a two week stretch of work and I'm a little frazzled right now. GI3

Thanks for all the helpful comments. I will come back here and post up some pics of the finished rifle when I get it done. GI1
Glad to hear it! Sounds like you got one hell of a rifle coming your way GI2

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,618 Posts
Some months ago, LRB receivers were accused of being out of spec and the subject was beat to death in one of the other forums. In the end, most folks realized that the issues were insignificant and no one had any complaints except for a handful of folks who didn't seem to understand why there were variations from the original specs. No failures of any kind were sighted and LRB receivers continue to be considered the best available by most armorers.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Some months ago, LRB receivers were accused of being out of spec and the subject was beat to death in one of the other forums. In the end, most folks realized that the issues were insignificant and no one had any complaints except for a handful of folks who didn't seem to understand why there were variations from the original specs. No failures of any kind were sighted and LRB receivers continue to be considered the best available by most armorers.
No doubt, but the issues we were referring to are significant. If you take into account the amount of hours required to straighten them out, I doubt anyone could afford to pay an armorer to do it, or that you could find one willing to do it, rather than send it back.

I failed to mention the receiver safety bridge location in the thread, because by checking the firing pin protrusion and other factors, I deemed it allowable for safety. It was in fact .005 out of spec. But, we are not talking about G.I. receivers here, which is where the specs come from. The firing pin has play allowable for spec, then factoring in the bolt location after lapping and target headspace, and the primer seating depth, and he is good to go.

I have no doubt that panzersergeant will end up with a fine specimen when he's done.

Congratulations on your new acquisiton !!

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Once upon a time there was a sticky here that a member posted of testing a reciever properly using guage blocks, heighth guage and an indicator set up on a granite inspection block. I don't know what happened to it, but that is the only way to inspect a reciever.
Also keep in mind that LRB will not honor their warranty if someone other than them starts grinding away on thier reciever.
This is copied and pasted straight from thier website.
"Repairs or modifications to LRB Arms stripped receivers or barreled actions NOT done by LRB Arms voids warranty."

·
Registered
110 Posts
proper tool

Once upon a time there was a sticky here that a member posted of testing a reciever properly using guage blocks, heighth guage and an indicator set up on a granite inspection block. I don't know what happened to it, but that is the only way to inspect a reciever.
Also keep in mind that LRB will not honor their warranty if someone other than them starts grinding away on thier reciever.
This is copied and pasted straight from thier website.
"Repairs or modifications to LRB Arms stripped receivers or barreled actions NOT done by LRB Arms voids warranty."
A height gauge is the right equipment not blocks.DI2

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
I remember your post at the time. You have the right stuff for the job. Could you repost those pics. I respectfully disagree that guage blocks cannot be used. They probably calibrate your equipment with guage blocks. I was actually about to edit my post because I realised that it excluded heighth guages like yours wich would be incorrect.

A height gauge is the right equipment not blocks.DI2

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.