M14 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already have a soft spot for anything thats made of wood. So I just couldn't resist the urge to pick up some wooden stocks. Ive done some searching and found that they're both "big red" stocks. I have a winchester and a h. sacks and sons. No DoD or P stamps. The winchester was refinished by rock island armory arsenal years ago. It seems to have quite a bit of sanding done on it, while the h. sacks and sons was refinished by an unknown source. I've noticed that the winchester stock has an uneven contour along the bottom where the magazine sits. You'll notice the stock liner height difference on each side. Maybe you guys will be able to see what I'm talking about. I should be able to even the other side by sanding that area when I refinish them, right? Theres also some wood that looks to have been chiseled out inside the trigger group area of the winchester as well. The h. sacks and sons was refinished without removing the front ferrule, front sling swivel, and stock liners with screws. How would I go about removing the stain and finish off of those? I know for certain that the winchester is birch, but Im guessing the h. sacks and son is walnut? I'm going to be picking up some steel wool, simple green, and tung oil this weekend to get started. Hopefully once I finish them, they'll look more attractive than their current state.

[

1 - 2 of 2 Posts