M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have gotten hosed. I traded a black rifle I had for a sidestamp poly with a SEI scope mount. I was told it only had about 150 rounds thru it, after the trade I got home and was looking it over and pulled the flash hider off and dropped my M.E. gauge in it and it reads 2. depending on how I set it in the muzzle it reads below 2. I take this means way more then 150 rounds fired thru it?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I think the Chinese muzzles are a little loose even when new, I have a Poly take off barrel with only a couple hundred rounds through it and gauges a 2 also, but most still shoot pretty good.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Greetings,

I really don't know anything about the Chinese rifles, but I'd be more interested to see how it shot before getting too worried about the gauge reading. Make your call after you try it out. Good luck!

PS...........bring some different ammo types along; it could shoot great with some not so with others.

Regards, Jim

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Muzzle erosion doesn't mean a thing. Throat erosion though...
I have to disagree. The muzzle is very important to the accuracy of the rifle, it is the last part of the barrel the bullet touches as it exits the bore. You can have a $1000.00 barrel with a perfect chamber,throat and bore but if the muzzle / crown is bad the rifle will not shoot well. I have fixed alot of different types of rifles over the years for customers that said their rifles accuracy was not what it used to be. Most of the time the problem was solved by simply recrowning the barrel.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
While I don't disagree at all, I have seen many rifles with significant muzzle wear that are still excellent shooters..

Take it out and see how it shoots..

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Before gages were plentiful and cheap, gun owners would just shoot the thing, and if it shot to their expectation it was a 'shooter' and if it did not it was a 'beater'. Nowadays people drive me nuts with their 'gunshow' gages telling me their guns are 'out of spec'. Way more than half the time it is a worn or defective gage. If your gage is not certified yearly, it is practically useless. Save your money for ammunition. Not picking on anyone, but as the old saying, "Soldier, shut up and soldier".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.