M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I found an unmodified M14 flash suppressor for a price I couldn't pass up but I couldn't find a wrench at the show to take it on and off.

Can any of y'all help a brotha' out? I'll cover shipping both ways.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I recently bought castle but piers from Brownells not too long ago. The flash suppressor I removed was attached to a Springfield loaded model. What a job it was just getting the castle nut loose!! I had the rifle in a gun vise, wife holding the Sadlak gas wrench in place while I tried to loosen the castle nut. We finally got it off but it was a pain in the @ss. I put on the lugged flash suppressor and tightened the nut. Getting the castle nut tight and installing the set screw is another job on its own. Good luck!!

·
Registered
964 Posts
You can never have enough gunsmithing tools. It will pay for itself in the long run.
Very true! Good castle nut pliers, hollow-ground screwdrivers, roll pin punches, pin drivers / pushers, and Allen wrenches are relatively cheap and elemental. No need to buy them all at once, just as you need them. The quality tools will last longer than a lifetime.

Reactions: RDS

·
Registered
10,632 Posts
When I went to swap out one recently I had to put flame heat on the castle nut to break it loose! Didn't have to get it any hotter than a good day at the range but pretty hot. The pliers came in real handy!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I recently bought castle but piers from Brownells not too long ago. The flash suppressor I removed was attached to a Springfield loaded model. What a job it was just getting the castle nut loose!! I had the rifle in a gun vise, wife holding the Sadlak gas wrench in place while I tried to loosen the castle nut. We finally got it off but it was a pain in the @ss. I put on the lugged flash suppressor and tightened the nut. Getting the castle nut tight and installing the set screw is another job on its own. Good luck!!
Brownells sells the best wrench. It's built stronger than a GI wrench. Remember to remove the set screw in the flash hider before removing castle nut.
I suggest you buy a good allen wrench to fit the set screw as a cheap one may strip out. Also if your castle nut is extremely tight it may deform when you attempt to remove it. Castle nuts are cheap you may want to buy an extra one.

·
Registered
443 Posts
DIY Castle Nut Pliers Thanks Tony

I have had a couple of members ask about the Castle nut pliers I made from a pair of Vicegrip "C" clamps First I would like to say that I copied what Tony Ben did I did not come up with this idea my self.
I took a old pair of ViceGrip brand locking "C" clamps and ground the sides flat and used a Dremel with a cut off wheel to shape the contact points that engage the castle nut notches. I added a lock nut to the adjuster screw so you cant overtighten them, I welded the ring for something else before I made them into CN pliers so you don't need it. Make sure to not over heat the tip as you cut them.

Casey
Attached Thumbnails

I can not take credit for this. You can find this thread in gunsmith and Earthquake is the author and you can also check Tony Ben videos. This is a great idea and its cheap and good.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I never thought of this before, but there is a slight difference between a USGI castle nut and a commercial one that could be creating difficulty in getting the commercial one off. I can't remember who pointed it out, but the USGI nut has a distinctly larger flat on the surface that mates against the barrel than a commercial nut. I took my 19 year old castle nut off fairly easily recently. I was able to compare the nut to a commercial one I had on hand and sure enough it had the larger flat. It was on tight, but it was not difficult to remove with the pliers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.