M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 1903 Mk 1 with really nice metal but the stock was from a 1903A3 (no finger grooves) and the action was really, really loose in it. I learned the CMP offered some walnut finger groove reproduction stocks (made by Boyds) so I bought one. I can highly recommend them, however they are pricey - $170. The rifle now shoots much smaller groups off a rest (1.5"@100 yards vs 3"@ 100 yards) with CMP ammo. Photos of the rifle in the new stock are attached.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Drop in fit except for the hand guard clips - the inletting required to install them is not done by Boyds. Only had to retighten the action screws every 5 shots for 25 shots before the action screws stayed tight and the rifle settled down group-wise.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
That's good to hear, their NOS O3 stocks were a hassle to fit from what I've heard.

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
Did the stock have the barrel band spring installed in the stock?
If not, was the inlet for the band spring set up correctly so it would keep the band back against the shoulder of the stock?

The way Boyd's screwed up that inlet on so many earlier stocks, I would have preferred they NOT had inletted and drilled for the band spring.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
looks good. The Mark1 I received was also in rough shape. Thinking of doing the same thing with mine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.