M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetin's all! I have been doing a lot of "research" online, ok, so I have been sitting here bored mindlessly going through the interwebz. WELL, I came across this GoRuck Challenge. A Team based challenge with some interesting ideas. I am under no illusion that its based off a company, and they are trying to sell their products - I have no ties, nor have I done this challenge to endorse it. I am wondering if anyone has done it, heard about it?

Its like all the Spartan/Tough Mudder/Enter-The-Craziness-Here races/challenages - but instead of just grabbing your runner friends this one has a twist - you do it with a pack with 25+ pounds of bricks and additional things you need, like water, some food, and some gear. The owner/creator of this event is a SEAL/SF/Cool guy and modeled some of the events off of BUDS. Like the team log exercises and water based exercises. All while you wear your pack, and do things like group push-ups and buddy carry, and "Indian sprints."

I am thinking about doing when in a few (7-8) months when I am a bit more in shape, and home on leave. I think it would be a good gauge to test out the - EOTW, trying to bug-out of a city.

Oh yeah - this is no obstacle course - this is a city near you - downtown. These are done running down the road of the city, log carry through a park, buddy carry up stairs, stuff like that.

Here is the site - https://www.goruck.com/Events/Challenge

Thoughts? Have you done it?

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
If you condition for it, it's supposed to be great fun. I was actually thinking about doing one last year before I started having medical issues.

That being said, I don't think I need to explain to anyone who is prior service that they need to build up to and condition with a ruck before trying it.

I've seen a lot of people think they were tough ****, throw on a 30-45lb ruck, and try to be all hardcore. And then realize there is a reason most of us go out of our way to pack/balance our ruck, and not go crazy off the bat.

I say do it and have fun.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you condition for it, it's supposed to be great fun. I was actually thinking about doing one last year before I started having medical issues.
I say do it and have fun.

Im sorry to hear you had/have medical issues.

People REALLY don't understand what it's like, as you said. I know plenty of people that keep saying they dont understand how we are all broken.. They only "ruck" a little bit, once in a great while, at THEIR pace, on THEIR turf.

Im no PT/Rucking stud - but I am willing to get back in shape!

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Ruck and swim.

You'll be making great time on rucks and runs in no time.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ruck sure, but there is no place to swim where Im at, haha about 600 miles (measured) to the nearest body of water!!!

Im going to try the Horseman workout, I started it with some friends over here, its like CrossFIT only more... suck.

I have been thinking about the Bugging Out scenario, and it scares me. This is a good way to figure out where I stand. Its been 10 years since I had to strap on a ruck and go for any distance and that was only about 10 miles walking.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do it!!

I have done Goruck twice and had a blast. If youre prior military then think of your normal 15-25 hump with all the mind games included in an Indoc. If you havent humped before then build up to it. It will suck but worth it at the end.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wont ask any specific questions on what you did, I know it will be different - AND I want to keep it a surprise. But I will ask a couple questions, Did you use their gear or bring your own (not the same brand), what did you pack, and how long were your... sessions?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Ive known a few people in my unit that have done it. They all said its challenging but fun. Makes me wanna start rucking! Just wanna find a metal frame ruck, all i have is an issued plastic frame one.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sweenman, BAF 2012, eh? 1 handed pushups for you on the GoRuck Challenge after saluting all the officers! (If you're in..)

I've been looking at a bunch of pictures, and no one is using the new or old style rucks, just the backpack type ones - granted that could just be for the camera! Ill be bringing my MotherLode Camelbak back out here after leave to start training with.

·
Registered
272 Posts
^I am still in. I'd never go back to BAF again if I have a choice. Way too many officers. Too big of a base for me in general. You a contractor out there?

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
My wife and several others from our Crossfit gym are doing the Mountain Man ruck in April in Tennessee. They are all rucking with 35# for 26.2 miles. They have been training every weekend. It is a sister race to the Bataan death march race in New Mexico.

I myself am good with crossfit to keep me in shape. I'm proud of my wife for giving this a go!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts