M14 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started using Gordon's Reloading Tool so I'm on a learning curve obviously. I put in some numbers for a somewhat unpopular handgun cartridge using the supplied C.I.P. data. I put in the projectile I want, primers and the powder I want and it all looks pretty "average" relative to the little info available that I can find.

Except....

The pressure indicated is greatly lower than some of the internet loads I have seen that supply pressure info, so I'm wondering why that might be? I have a number of commercial ammo once fired cases (from my firearm) but as of yet, have not done the ol' water test to gauge capacity to input that.

Other than that, what else am I missing?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did some case measurements and put in some other relevant missing data and the numbers are looking much better. If anyone else is using Gordons, I will be putting it to more use in the future. Pretty handy and free to use. They ask for data from developed loads to fine tune and expand the data base, which I will as they become available.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I hadn't heard of the project. Just downloaded the software and started familiarization with it.
I have been working on a few new to me calibers while waiting for components to arrive, and the numbers look really good, and very close to published data. There is also a plug in to GRT(Gordons Reloading Tool) Labs, where you can download results to Gordon to help expand the data base.

I joined up the Gordons Reloading Tool on discord. Those guys are really friendly and more than helpfull, without a hint of the usual condescending attitude that invariably crops up on forums.
I would suggest you check it out if you wish.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks for posting this Deaus!
I've been playing around with loads I know and comparing to Book data to see how close it is. And I'd agree with you. It gets you in the neighborhood and suggest where you approach limits nicely. I'll check out discord too.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm finding a definite learning curve personally. I have never reloaded pistol before, so I'm starting with 9mm and posted my first load file the other day, along with my chrono results. The guys there are really being helpfull showing me my errors.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Despite being a "slow" powder, I have had very good results with 7.9gr with a 4.6" barrel. Chrono results were actually closer to 1200fps at 7.9gr, where velocity and accuracy actually dropped off after that at 8.2gr.

At the speeds and accuracy I'm getting it is near perfect for Berrys/Speer/Xtreme RNCP as the recommend max velocity is 1250fps.

I'm going to be testing my EDC 3.6" barrel, and also 124gr bullets next (as time permits). I hazard a guess that it will perform quite well with the heavier projectile.

This is simply my choice of powder for my reasons alone, use whatever you want. I have presented this only as information for anyone curious as to what GRT is, and what can be done. FOR FREE. I do not advocate the use of my results, nor take any responsibility for the duplication of any data presented. ... Caveat Usor...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts