M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...o-gun-bills-for-president-elect-donald-trump/
The bills discussed are a small but vital start
I'll view this as a Christmas wish list so as long as we're wishing,
How about elimination of every single federal gun law including the father of it all,
the National Firearms Act of 1934 and while we're at it defunding the BATF.

What part of " shall not be infringed" don't they understand?

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I've got a suppressor that has been in jail since June ... I'm quite sure the suppressors will get taken off the NFA list within a week after I get mine mailed!
Yeah, I bet. That's why I waited until the election was done and we see where things are headed. If the other candidate won, I'd be worried I wouldn't get the thing if it was in jail.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Question for those of you who have been into firearms before the FOPA became law.

Were machine guns fairly affordable at the time, like did they cost a little more than a semi auto versions? Or were they still fairly expensive for most people?

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Question for those of you who have been into firearms before the FOPA became law.

Were machine guns fairly affordable at the time, like did they cost a little more than a semi auto versions? Or were they still fairly expensive for most people?
Prior to the 1986 act I purchased a brand new Colt M16A1 with a 14 inch barrel for $600, plus the $200 transfer tax. Does that make you want to cry?

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Prior to the 1986 act I purchased a brand new Colt M16A1 with a 14 inch barrel for $600, plus the $200 transfer tax. Does that make you want to cry?
You mean a select fire M16? Wow! SHOCKED2

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
The Thompson Sub gun when introduced did not do well sales wise for it missed out on WW I and then efforts were made to sell to Law Enforcement, but at some 240-300.00/copy back then it was beyond the budget when other firearms could be purchased for a whole lot less. The "bad guys" did not care how much it cost and did use them whenever required, like when robbing banks, wiping out the competition, etc. I happen to own an Auto Ordnance semi auto Model 1927A1 classed as a pistol and can not fit a vertical grip to the pistol?? It has a horizontal walnut forend and the firearm is quite a formidable weapon even without the vertical grip, but I suppose with the vertical grip it would be something akin to a Stinger Missile?? Now since it is a pistol I can chop off the muzzle to any length I want, no requirement that it be some 16+" in length?? Even though semi auto in design and being a pistol holding it down at your hip you can run out a 30rnd. stick mag or a 50rnd drum in very short order due to the bounce, bump firing ability of the firearm. Even though the trigger has a long pull, it is in reality a light final stage trigger.
Yes, it is controllable and with considerable accuracy out to 50-75yds. and would deem it to be one of the most lethal of any firearms, but can't have a vertical forend???
Just a small gripe I realize, but it makes no logical sense to me why this restriction. Perhaps President Trump will put this at the top of the list to correct.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
I think the 'Reciprocity' Bill's concept is fairly simple...and I am of course supportive of it, however it is Interesting to me that at heart it is an acknowledgment of the viewpoint that the Second Amendment has some limitations...
Why do I say that? Because the GOP/NRA/GOA are tacitly agreeing that the RKBA pursuant to the Second Amendment is Not going to be interpreted as a Ban against States legislating their individual versions of Concealed Carry laws...but instead these groups have combined to advocate for a Federal Law preventing one State from 'punishing' the citizen of another State from legally and legitimately exercising their RKBA---Concealed!

Regarding Suppressors...the 'Hearing Protection Act' is apparently still the focus of this, and to me, it's very limited in it's scope...basically only removing Suppressors from the NFA(National Firerams Act of 1934, essentially making Suppressors a NON-Class 3 Item, and allowing them to be sold over-the counter.
(Or will Congress end up requiring Suppressors to be bought and sold only through FFL's ???)
I don't think it remotely addresses eliminating the BATFE, and leaves Fully-Automatic Weapons, Short Barreled Rifles and Shotguns, and AOW's(any other weapons)and 'Destructive Devices' still being fully regulated by BATFE!
If I am wrong about any of this, please advise me...but that's what I think is being contemplated as of now.
Being a 'Class 3 Guy' myself...I have a lot of questions as to what the Bill(if passed as currently being proposed)would mean to current Holders of Suppressors(each one of which is tied to a individual, specific Tax Stamp)---Would those Suppressors(likely close to a Million of them 'registered')no longer be subject to the NFA? Would I be able to sell a Suppressor I own to my friend just by visiting the LGS FFL? Would my current Tax Stamps no longer have any legal meaning except as to documentation that I legally purchased them prior to the NFA being amended ?

This will all bear close watching!

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
444 Posts
I've got a suppressor that has been in jail since June ... I'm quite sure the suppressors will get taken off the NFA list within a week after I get mine mailed!
I'm hoping that the Hearing Protection Act gets signed & new suppressors get deregulated before mine gets released from jail. That would just be sorta comical and entertaining to me.

Watching the current wait times, mine should get outa jail in Feb or March.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
Only ONE ?

What Were You Thinking ???

GI3

(Ok, seriously...I know $800 was probably a lot of $ for you back then...)

CAVman in WYoming

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.